Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Listened to the great advice and made the right purchase!

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by syciprider, Nov 1, 2005.

1. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    About a week or so ago I asked for some recording gear advice (all in one recorders vs Firewire/USB box + PC). After much thought about the knowledge offered here I settled on a Presonus Inspire 1394 and the Cubase LE pack in. I found it very, very easy to get into. I put in a total of two hours of figuring out how it works and was up and running with my first multi track recording.

Here it is: http://www.alvarfamily.com/basssynth.mp3

Stingray w/

Digitech BSW (left)
    Line 6 MM4 Analog Flanger (middle)
    Big Muff and Digitech Hyperphase (right)

Again, thanks guys!

2. BulkHead

BulkHead

Oct 14, 2005
    Manassas VA
    Hey syc- if no one minds, I will go ahead and take full credit on this one. LOL
    The sample sounds great, post more when you get a chance.

3. Fantastic! I'm glad you're happy syciprider and it sounds great.

I was using a desktop PC with Cubase 5 and a 24/96 sound card. Sold everything and now want to get a firewire for my laptop, so my question is: why did you get the Inspire 1394 and not choose the Presonus Firebox for example? Not that the Inspire is bad,... I'm just trying to figure out the good points and bad points and different uses for all of these devices.

4. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Bulkhead: I'll mention you in my Grammy acceptance speech ;)

Big Ben: Price vs need.

I am not in a band (I can only record one track at a time so two inputs are plenty) and I don't see ever making a single cent out of this hobby (at least not until I retire from the military MANY years from now).

5. Wow, I hadn't heard or checkeout the Inspire until now although I have been looking at the Firebox and Firepod for awhile. Wicked looking unit according to the website. Very cool.

Syciprider - What do you mean Price vs need?

As I understand it, both Firebox and the Inspire can record 4 channels simultaneously - both have two front preamp inputs and both have two rear line inputs (RCA on the Inspire and 1/4inch on the Firebox).

Both come with Cubase LE software - the Inspire adding some other stuff like Sony Acid, some plug ins and over 1 GB of drum loops.

Both are expandable meaning that you can add more units to get more inputs down the road - according to the website this is for sure with the Inspire and the Firebox has it coming right around the corner if not already.

What's the price? Presonus.com has a $299 (estimated US street price) for the Firebox,... anyone know what the estimated US street price for the Inspire is so that we can compare apples to apples?

Is there anything that I'm missing here? Please, if I'm wrong, somebody correct me. I'm in decision mode and will porbably be buying something this weekend.

6. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I'm sorry I thought the Firepod was that $500 rackmounted unit the GC clerk was showing me.

I never got a chance to compare the unit you are referring to to the unit I bought.

7. BulkHead

BulkHead

Oct 14, 2005
    Manassas VA
  8. Thanks BulkHead.

So does anyone know if there are the same preamps and converters in the Firepod/Firebox and Inspire? I'm assuming with the price that there is a difference.

Bulkhead, they say the Firepod sounds splendid,... is it true? :) I have a friend who is a full time studio and live drummer and he has told me that he's never been 100% happy with his drum sounds until he set up his own studio in the basement with the Firepod. I understand that lot of that is just having the time to mess around, but with decent mics plugged straight into the firepod, his MAC G4 and Mackie monitors,... simple, clean and natural - what he's always wanted.

Anyway, could anyone point me the good and bad of the M-Audio Firewire 410 compared to the Presonus Firebox? Are the preamps and converters better?

I can only see price (M-Audio is $399 MSRP) and the fact that the Presonus comes with Cubase LE (which I know) and the M-Audio comes with Ableton Live which I'll have to learn.

Thanks all,

Benner

9. Dugz Ink

Dugz Ink

Oct 23, 2005
    Here's the basic comparison page...

http://www.presonus.com/interfaces.html

What the chart doesn't mention is that the RCA inputs on the 1394 have a switch that turns on an RIAA EQ, which is necessary for recording off of one un-amplified turntable, which is cool. However, that's only one turntable... one of many things that makes me think that the 1394 is designed more for the hobbyist.

Add to that list the use of 1/8" "stereo" jacks and RCA jacks.

Another thing is that the Firebox page has a fairly complete listing of specs. The 1394 doesn't. It's as if they don't expect the 1394 users to care about the specs... or maybe there's something they don't want to tell us.

However, the specs that they do provide are fairly close... close enough that you probably won't hear the difference. And that's the bottom line: if it has what you need, and sounds good enough, then use it.

10. BulkHead

BulkHead

Oct 14, 2005
    Manassas VA
    Ben- I have no experience with the m-audio 410, so no help there.
    Here are my very limited mic pre tests:
    Aphex 107 tubessence
    Firepod
    ART tube Prochannel
    Mackie 32x8

The Aphex and the Fire are very similar, no coloration, clean.
    The ART suxx, I hate it, I hate all ART products I have used.
    The mackie pres are good general purpose, but not as bright as the fire and aphex.
    Give me a minute and I will post a drum sample using Firepod, all 8 channels into Cubase SX.

11. Dugz Ink

Dugz Ink

Oct 23, 2005
    The dynamic range and noise floors on both units are so close that you won't hear a difference. And I can almost promise you that the M-Audio pres will not sound substantially better than the Presonus pres. If they're close in quality, then Cubase LE makes the Presonus unit(s) a better deal.

The only plus for the 410 is that it has two headphones jacks and controls for each one. That very nice if you're recording a singer who whines about their headphones levels; you can give them what they want while you can keep your cans at the level you want. (A nice headphone splitter is $100 or more.)

12. Dugz Ink

Dugz Ink

Oct 23, 2005
    Amen!

13. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az

I can promise you that the mic pre's that Presonus builds into their other products sound noticeably clearer and more musical than any M-Audio pre's, which aren't slouches by themselves. I don't know if they re-designed their preamp circuitry for the Firebox, but I have yet to hear a Presonus product that wasn't worth what they're asking, and would happily stear anyone towards something with Presonus pre's over any other brand even remotely in the price range, based on sound alone. Just my opinion, of course.

14. Dugz Ink

Dugz Ink

Oct 23, 2005
    I wasn't very happy with the "Tube" pre I bought; too much noise.