1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Live rig vs studio rig

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by WillyPop, Mar 27, 2013.

1. WillyPop

WillyPop

Jan 11, 2010
    quebec, Canada
    Ashdown Amps, Yamaha, Musicman & Washburn Basses
    :help:

Hi there!

I'm playing with my folk band (acoustic guitar, piano, accordion and african percs) since a couple of months now and everything is ready to be capture and recorded in a studio. We are booked on 2 weeks in a professional place.

Question is, since i'm with this band, I played my Washburn AB-10 with flats in my ashdown ABM and this sound is veeery pleasing to my ears during live or rehearsal. The band think the same. I not sure that this setup will be that much satisfiying during a recording.

Should I bring the "original" kit, my versatile MM Sterling or anything else?

Thanks for the help in advance!

Wil

2. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum

Apr 8, 2011
    If it sounds good live throw a good mic on it in a good room and it should sound just fine recorded. That said, if you can run a DI as well, something like an Avalon U5 or a REDDI, you'll have two great signals to play with. And it never hurts to have a second bass.

3. audioglenn

audioglenn

Jul 14, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    Bring your live rig....If you and the band like that sound, then that's what you should use. I've recorded many different bands over the past thirty years, and the last thing you want to do is suddenly change the sound you like just because you're in the studio. I would recommend bringing the other bass as a backup and replacement strings. Two weeks is plenty of time to get great recordings of your music, as long as you have a good engineer.

Have fun and post some results when you're finished. I'd love to hear what your band sounds like with the instrumentation you described!

4. +1 on both the above posts

5. Raymeous

Raymeous

Jul 2, 2010
    San Diego
    The whole purpose of recording is to capture your sound right? Go with what you know you like. Yes mic placement can change things dramatically, however do not fall in to the "we'll fix it in the mix" trap. Worry about your performance, and have the engineer do is job by moving mics around if need be to get a better sound.

6. ddnidd1

ddnidd1 Supporting Member

Sorry. I'm missing something.

You really like the sound you currently have, so to recreate that sound in the studio you're thinking of using a very different sounding bass to achieve the same results you now have with your current setup.

7. WillyPop

WillyPop

Jan 11, 2010
    quebec, Canada
    Thank you all for your answers. It really help me for my first experience in studio. As for the change of setup to get the "same" sound, actually you know live sound and recorded sound well... sound different, that's why I was thinking about using another bass.

So i will bring my original rig and bass and see what it sounds like.

Cant wait to get there and if something else pop in your mind, keep the info comming! :D

8. If you don't like the recorded sound, you have to tell the engineer. That is very important. The engineer should always ask for your opinion too.

After I place all mics and throw the faders up and am 90%, I always have the band to a test run then have them back in the control room to proof it before we get too far. If they voice concerns, I address them and if their concerns would make corrective mixing needed later in a "fix it in the mix" I tell them that too and we will usually compromise to where I know what I have is totally workable.

Lastly, the most overlooked portion of all this is you. The vibe, how you play, your energy and getting that from your mind through your body then instrument and and gel with the other players. Studio environments are very different than live gigs. Your sound begins with you. Your bass and amp are accessories.

9. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Bring everything you own or at least everything you think you might want to use. Might be a song or two you'll want a different vibe. But definitely bring your live bass.

10. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    i've done it both ways with nice results, big heavy tube amp and 115, or fuzz pedal into envelope filter into di, just had to watch the finger style force, in the early days i got in the bad habit of playing way too hard to compensate for not having a loud amp at shows

11. WillyPop

WillyPop

Jan 11, 2010
    quebec, Canada
    Yeah that's good stuff to know. As i'm preparing for this experience, I play each song listening in my earphones while recording only the bass and by listening the recordings after, I can really focus on the details of my playing. I already knew this but I can REALLY see the impact of my playing vs the sound of my rig.

12. Awesome way to prepare. Goodluck:D

13. WillyPop

WillyPop

Jan 11, 2010
    quebec, Canada
    Here's what it finally sound like!

Washburn AB-10 with d'addario chromes medium + Ashdown ABM 500 =

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rrbca63ukst0a13/Le petit écran.mp3

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zv8pjokgudai1y4/Des sourires luxuriants.mp3

Really happy with the results. It's not perfect but for a first studio experience i'm quite happy.

Feel free to give your opinion either on the record sound or the bass playing itself.

The band is "Fanny est Partie" (fanny is gone) and songs are "Le petit écran" (little screen) and "Des sourires Luxuriants" (fake shiny smiles)

14. WillyPop

WillyPop

Jan 11, 2010
    quebec, Canada
  15. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Beware: recording engineers seem to operate under the belief that their preferences should trump yours when it comes to the sound of your bass.

As long as the band is paying, the band gets to decide how the bass should sound, no matter what the studio employees think. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise!