1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Live Speaker Setup

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by K9Jay79, Apr 20, 2009.

1. Hey guys. I'm looking for help with my brother's band. He's got a very talented group of guys playing a "metalish" genre. They're very into progressive metal so they tend to play some fairly technical stuff. Their bassist is very talented, and played a lot of melodic parts. I've listened to them practice a lot over the years, and they sound very good, and very technical. The problem is that I went to my first show of theirs last month, they sounded like mud. Now granted, they were playing a small bar with terrible acoustics, but I know it can get better than that. The drummer overdrove everything. Second came the bass. Then came the rhythm guitarist, followed by lead guitarist and vocals neck and neck. When the drummer stopped playing for brief moments, you could pick out the guitar leads fairly well. But once he went to town again, the power chords mud together into a big pile of noise. I found myself having to imagine what they were playing during solos that I love in their music, but just couldn't hear them.

They were using 2 Peavy guitar stacks (one for each guitar), a 4x10 cab for the bass, and 2 PA speakers for vocals. They also have an EQ board.

I know speaker placement, sound setup, and a whole lot of other stuff matter, and that there's no quick answer, and my knowledge is already pretty limited. Could you guys point me in the right direction for educating myself on this stuff? I'd like to potentially do their sound for them one day. Thanks in advance.

2. modulusman

modulusman Banned

Jan 18, 2004
    montana