1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Locks of Love

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by flowlikeocean, Nov 8, 2010.

1. So, I just took the plunge, cut my hair ten inches, and now look like my imaginary lesbian sister.

[​IMG]

Anyone else done this or thinking about doing it?

2. JacoLesFlea

JacoLesFlea

Jun 16, 2006
    Minnesota
    Did you cut it out of anger, a bet or change of style?

3. No, a friend of mine died of Pontine Glioma. I was going to cut it before because of a bet though, I just got a better reason.

4. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    I used to have an awesome flowing mane. I cut it when interviewing for my job and gave it up to locks of love not long after my grandmother died of breast cancer.

5. JacoLesFlea

JacoLesFlea

Jun 16, 2006
    Minnesota
    sory to hear abut your freind:(

6. ThudThudThud

ThudThudThud

Jun 4, 2010
    About 12 years ago I donated 'about a yard' of braided ponytail to wigs for kids. I think karma will repay one day in the form of my fingers magically playing "Teen Town" all on their own.

7. machine gewehr

machine gewehr

Sep 17, 2005
    Istanbul
    Sorry about your friend.:(

My hair used to go under my shoulders,one day I gave it a GI cut and had short hair since than since 6 months ago.

The hair is yours,if you want you can grow 'em back any time you like.:)

8. Thanks, it was a few months ago, and I'm good now.

9. I've thought about it, my hair isn't long enough yet though. I want to grow it out then do this after a while.

10. It's a bit shocking when you look in the mirror, but the ridicule, and the jokes about not being recognized, are worth it 100%.

11. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

One of my daughters did this a few years ago. A couple of years ago we did St. Baldrick's where people shave their heads to support research for children's cancer. My wife hit two birds with one stone by having the St. Baldrick's people save her hair for Locks of Love (St. Baldrick's just holds shavings for the awareness-raising and takes pledges). Both great programs for a good cause.

12. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    I cut off at least a foot of hair recently, but read that they don't take dreadlocks. :(

13. That's too bad. I think I might dread my hair once it grows back, just to see what it's like.

14. sloasdaylight

sloasdaylight Banned

Feb 4, 2009
    Tampa, Florida, US
    When I first cut my hair back in HS, I chopped off about 15 inches that I donated to Locks for love. Once I get tired of this incarnation of long hair I'm going to donate it again.

15. D.M.N.

D.M.N. (O))))

Oct 6, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    My dad has done it before. Had it all the way down his back and cut it all of to a crew cut twice now, and he's going to do it again pretty soon. I would, except my hair doesn't so much get long as is does thick, so it gets mega bushy. Maybe in the future though, cause it is a really cool thing to do.

16. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    A couple of years back ('04? '05?) I had a patient whose family had a mariachi band. My patient and her sister played violin in the family band. They each had hair past their waists. When my patient developed leukemia, she and her sister cut their hair to donate. She cut hers all the way to boot camp short. And her sister cut hers to jaw length.

The reason that story becomes important is that she got her own hair back in her wig. The staff on the floor said she is the only one they've ever heard of getting her own hair back.