Long Scale Half-size

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Barefoot Larry, Nov 3, 2004.

1. I've come into possession of a half-size bass.

There are a lot of things I like about it, though I'm not eager to be switching scale-lengths between it and my 3/4.

I got the notion that I might want to have the neck extended by 3.5 inches, to give it a 41.5" scale.

The suggestion came up that I just install an abbreviated tailpiece, then move the bridge and soundpost 3.5 inches lower on the top.

I can't help but wonder if I'm likely to lose quite a bit of volume and maybe tone this way.

Can I get some opinions on this?
  2. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Extending the neck would result in a F neck or something like that?
    I wouldn't move the bridge and soundpost either.
    My advice is: leave it as is.
  3. Ben Joella

Ben Joella

May 31, 2004
    Boca Raton, FL
    Yeah, either those would likely result in more variables to "relearn" than just adapting to a different scale. Not to mention relearning a new scale length is free.
  4. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    That's way too much lower - it sounds dangerous and could bust the top
  5. Lengthening the scale by whatever method means much greater tension on the strings to get them up to pitch, which means much greater pressure on the top and greater tension on the back and ribs, etc...
    Personally, I wouldn't do it.
  6. I you realy want to extend the scale, the way to do it is to block up the neck at the top block with an extension block of some sort so the neck heel is in the same place and the bridge is in the same place, thus preserving the correct bridge placement and the D (or Eb) neck.