Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Look where Steve Azola popped up.

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Munjibunga, Oct 13, 2004.

1. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Alan Iglesias and Crossfire

[​IMG]

This is a local SRV tribute band (for which I auditioned a couple years ago), so check out who the new bassist is. Steve's shop is up in Ramona, Alan lives in Escondido. They're going to be at Molly Malone's in Ramona on November 12. Let's see if the sound system sucks less at that gig.

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I love all the bass builders who go out and play vintage Fenders on gigs instead of one of their own creations :D

3. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    YO Steve, were's your own bass???
    If you don't play them give me one?

4. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001

I suppose that it is a SRV tribute band and since Tommy Shannon mostly played old Jazz basses and not Azola's it just looks more correct for him to play one.

5. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

exactly.

6. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Yeah, Alan is really committed to authenticity in his show. If you root around in his site, the flowery talk about SRV is genuine. I auditioned at his house with two returns, and the notes aren't hard, but I don't love Stevie enough and really don't have the required image or the desire to tour. So I continued on and ended up in the Mass Transit band, which is mucho mas fun.

7. Yeah, I think it just depends on the music. I saw Greg Curbow play a gig and he was using a beat-up 70's Jazz. It was pretty gnarly music, and one of his boutique basses definitely wouldn't have looked right.

8. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I'm sorry, but anyone who's *that* into it loses all power of irony. You'd have died, exploded, or succumbed in a bad way, I fear.

No slight to Steve, mind you - *he* may be less the ironophile.

9. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Oh, there's no irony intended. I thought at the time that if Tommy Shannon and Chris Layton auditioned, they wouldn't be into it enough. Obsession is the word, I think.