1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

looking at a new technical sound

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by SlightlyaBanana, Aug 15, 2012.

1. SlightlyaBanana

SlightlyaBanana

May 11, 2012
    hi guys, looking at producing a very technical sound!

first of all, i have just researched/purchased a moogerfooger mf101 (low pass filter) and a moog ep-2 expression pedal.

the effect i am trying to achieve is the same sound as the synth here:

skip to 2:42

along with the moog filter and expression pedal (which will be used to control the cutoff frequency) i have looked into some other pedals that would give the bass a more 'sawtooth' waveform sound, (listen back to the track in link, for the metallic and raspy high end but deep and reverbed low end)

the pedals i have looked into are:
    MXR Bass octave Deluxe (to give me the higher frequencys)
    Guyatone TZ2 Fuzz (which creates a sawtooth waveform)
    reverb (which would you suggest for the same sound as the track?)

what other pedals would you suggest to get that sound?

Cheers in advance!! ;)

2. Swift713

Swift713

Dec 4, 2006
    Florence, Ma
    The octave pedal will give you an octave below what you play, lower not higher.

3. SlightlyaBanana

SlightlyaBanana

May 11, 2012
    The M288 Bass Octave Deluxe is a dual-voice octave pedal that offers analog tone, true bypass, and a variety of tonal options. MXR's 18 volt Constant Headroom Technology™ provides high headroom and superior tracking. Use the Dry knob to mix in your direct signal, and hit the Mid+ switch to add up to +14dB of internally adjustable mid frequencies (400Hz or 850Hz). Finally, mix in two separately controlled octave voices—Growl (for throaty tone) and Girth (for deep tone).

bass open E is 40Hz

is there any method of getting higher sounding frequencies? i heard roundwound strings can give higher frequencies

4. Swift713

Swift713

Dec 4, 2006
    Florence, Ma
    You can boost higher frequencies with an eq.
    There are a number of pedals that will give you an octave up, EHX Micro POG, POG2, BMS, any number of multi-effects units, Markbass Super Synth, etc.

5. alec

alec

Feb 13, 2000
    Perth, Australia
    Fuzz pedals will boost the higher frequencies a lot which then makes a filter much more pronounced.

6. SlightlyaBanana

SlightlyaBanana

May 11, 2012
    thanks for the reply, is there anyway i can get a fuzz pedal to only affect the higher frequencies so when i do a filter sweep it sounds much more like "building tension" (build up)

cheers

7. SlightlyaBanana

SlightlyaBanana

May 11, 2012
    bump

8. Explorer

Explorer

Jul 4, 2010