Looking for a good EUB

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by pakodenut, Feb 22, 2004.

1. pakodenut

Feb 21, 2004
    Vigo (Spain)
    Hi everyone.

Sorry for asking again about EUBs hehe.

I'm looking for a EUB that sounds good, not as a substitution of an acoustic instrument. I live in a small city in Galicia, Spain, and i can't test EUBs here.

I have seen webs: Yamaha silent bass, Steinberger, etc.

I play usually Folk, Jazz, Latin jazz, Blues...

H E L P :)

Greetings from Vigo, Galicia, Spain.

P.S. If you want to hear my playing, listen Mercedes Peon's "Ajrú". Sometimes i even play tuned!!! hehehe.
    See u
  2. jondiener

jondiener Guy in the corner, looking at his phone on break. Supporting Member

As far as EUBs, I have experience with 2 models: an NS-CR4M and a Zeta Educator. I hated the Zeta. It was very heavy, had very little tonal variations, and had almost no sustain. It may have been OK for someone else, but it wasn't what I was looking for. So I sold it and got the Steinberger (NS Designs) EUB. I opted for the 4-string model with the magnetic pickups. What a difference from the Zeta! Lots of sustain and growl, tons of tonal and EQ variations, and it weighed about half as much. It's sound is little more like an electric fretless, but still can achieve a more 'authentic' upright sound when desired.

I play it in a jazz quartet, as well as in a top 40 band (along with my Lakland and Tobias.)

Hope this helps...
  3. sephage

Mar 5, 2004
    Philadelphia PA
    My fiancee just bought me an Azola Bugbass II. I love it, and I think itwould work quite well with Latin jazz.
  4. www.kyddbass.com makes wonderful basses. Bruce is a super friendly guy and you get your bass almost as soon as you order it. Its on an electric bass scale, which is nice because it gives you more leeway in your fingerings than on a a real bass. I play one in a big band and it sounds wonderful, in my opinion the best EUB out there.
  5. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Check out the alter Ego from Italy. I played one and having never been impressed by a Chimera, I thought that it had a lot of promise.
  6. abaguer

Nov 27, 2001
    Milford, NJ
    Lovely part of Spain. I was in Asturias in Oviedo and Gijon on tour a couple years back. You can probably get the Steinberger from Czeck Republic.