Looking for a head and 4x10" around $1000

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Skullsuicide99, Jun 5, 2020.

1. Skullsuicide99

Skullsuicide99

May 25, 2020
    Used only, most likely local. I don't have a problem buying a head from Reverb. Depending on shipping costs and practicality.

I am a guitar junkie looking to up my bass game. I have a 4 atring USA Peavey NTB Grind bass. I like it a lot.

Right now I have a Genz-Benz m-200 2x10" w/a tweeter.

I am not really sure what I am for from a tone perspective. I want something reasonabley flexible, kinda drawn to Rex from Pantera and Down, and Tom Araya, but don't want to just play metal.

I am kind of impressed with the orange bass terror, and a DI out would be cool to have.

400w would be about where I am looking. I won't be gigging as a bassist, but I will occasionally pick up a bass at an open mic.

I am definitely looking for a head and cab. May use it for recording as well.

There are a lot of Ampeg 4x10"s on the local market. What would you consider to be a good deal on one? I don't mind a little road wear.

As far as heads, I have no clue and don't honestly know a whole lot about what to look for in a bass head.

I will happily take any good advice you have for me, and I WILL look into all suggestions.

Thanks for your time and cheers!

2. Skullsuicide99

Skullsuicide99

May 25, 2020
    Bump?

3. Where is local?

4. Skullsuicide99

Skullsuicide99

May 25, 2020
    Tampa, FL

5. Skullsuicide99

Skullsuicide99

May 25, 2020
    S-Bigbottom likes this.
  6. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    It should be relatively easy to sell your ML-200 on the TB classifieds. I get inquiries for them fairly often.

S-Bigbottom likes this.
  7. Skullsuicide99

Skullsuicide99

May 25, 2020
    What price would you put it at? I have seen a lot of different prices on them.

8. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    Make offer?

9. Skullsuicide99

Skullsuicide99

May 25, 2020
    Would an ampeg SVT 450 be a good option?

10. Gibson Victory

Gibson Victory Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2019
    Might be ok, but for this kind of money on the used market I’d look an Ampeg SVT 3 Pro. GC and Reverb should have something reasonable. Flip a coin on the cab’s. 10’s and 12’s will definitely give you the punch, a 15 will give a nice bottom.

11. Skullsuicide99

Skullsuicide99

May 25, 2020
    I think I will wait for the right unit and the right time and pick up an SVT3 PRO. prices aren't bad at all.

I think I will just go for a ampeg 4x10" are there better years/models out there to look for?

I am going to get the head first, even if it has to sit for a bit, sell the genz-benz, then use that to snag a cab.

12. Gibson Victory

Dec 21, 2019
    I don’t have a 4x10, but they are very popular. Should work well. I’m sure there is a thread here on TB where you could get some suggestions on the various models.

13. This is on your local Craigslist, an SVT3 and 6x10 all together.
    Ampeg Bass Rig - musical instruments - by owner - sale

Gibson Victory likes this.
  14. Skullsuicide99

Skullsuicide99

May 25, 2020
  15. Gibson Victory

Dec 21, 2019
    Nice looking for sure. Wonder if the price is firm, or willing to talk, trade? Interesting for sure. I actually DO own a 6x10. You would most definitely be the “real deal” here. Think of a 6x10 as a 4x10 with 125 McDonalds Happy Meals stuffed inside. However, look on the bright side, it’s 250 less Happy Meal’s then an 8x10. Thing here I believe, is to find out the reason for the sale. Needing money, quitting altogether, etc., how long the item has been listed, that kind of thing. Let’s put it this way, if I lived in the area, the seller and I would be having a few cold one’s, and getting down to serious business. Does not cost anything to look, but be serious. I’d go in at $900.00 total, or get a explanation why that would not work. Take out a loan, borrow from friends or family. Would definitely try the rig out, since if a deal does happen, you bought it you got it. No refunds. Heck I’d buy the rig and don’t even need it. Please tell me the seller is not a TB member. Trying to figure how far out on the limb I am. Also to OP. Time to listen to “Poker Face”, you need that here. See..... and you didn’t you had a Wingman here on TB.

16. Skullsuicide99

Skullsuicide99

May 25, 2020
    I tried just about any trade offer, he wasn't interested at all
    Can't raise the cash so no chance at the moment. The right deal will come up again when the time is right.

17. Gibson Victory

Dec 21, 2019
    I believe you have exactly the right approach to the situation. Have patience it will happen. Best of luck.

18. Skullsuicide99

Skullsuicide99

May 25, 2020
    Thanks and Cheers!

19. ChadTheRat

ChadTheRat

Nov 17, 2019
    Ontario
    I've been slamming a 3PRO into a mid 90s SVT 410HE for probably 15 years now, and I have no regrets. It sounds EXCELLENT for the price tag. You can run it big fat and smooth or push the gain and make it grind. I personally like to keep it on the edge of breakup most of the time. Mine even took a nose dive off the top of an 8x10 into a concrete floor, and although cosmetically damaged, still worked fine.

You will have to decide when it comes to it, if you prefer a ported cabinet or sealed. The SVT 410he is sealed, it's literally half of an 8x10. Mine is older and only 200w, and the speakers love to be pushed. Never come close to blowing. The newer ones are rated at 500w but I believe they are still 8 ohms so they will still only take about half of the potential maximum juice from the 3PRO which will push 450w at 4 ohms.