1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looking for a new AMP

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Krowser, Nov 3, 2010.

1. Krowser

Krowser

Feb 10, 2009
    Hey guys, I'm looking for a new amp but I don't know the first thing about how to look for a good one.

Right now, I have a crate 220. In my opinion, it's pretty good but when I jam with my band, I have to turn up the volume to hear myself and at that point, the quality of the sound changes from a relatively clean tone to a grungy spurt. I know there's something in the amp that's vibrating and that it shouldnt.

Theres also another problem. I prefer the tone when the mids are cut out and the low and highs are boosted. However, if I do this, as most of you already know, I will never be able to hear myself, even if I jack the volume to maximum and the warning light is blinking madly.

So, well first of all, am I doing something wrong?

If it's just the amp, then could you tell me how to shop for one? What should I look for? Etc..

P.S, I play a 5 string bass tuned down a step so: A-D-G-C-F
    The low A doesnt come out very well. :(

Thank you,

2. thumpbass1

thumpbass1

Jul 4, 2004
    Will it run an extra speaker cabinet? I'm presuming that you have the single 15 version of this amp. I hate to say it, and I don't care how many watts any single speaker
    combo amp has these days, you are limited by how much air the amp can move by itself. You might need to add another single 15 or a 2x10 to let that bad boy open up and move more air in high volume situations. If your amp has an XLR out and your band has a decent enough p.a., you might want to jack in and use the p.a. for some extra muscle. Another speaker cab may save you from having to buy a new amp. However if you are itching to get a new amp rig, buy a multi speaker combo if you have to go combo, or go figure out what seperate amp head and speaker cab rig you have in mind that will move the most air that you can afford. I use an Ampeg B-2 combo by itself for my smaller gigs and run an SVT15-E with it for extra volume and headroom when I need it.

3. Krowser

Krowser

Feb 10, 2009
    Is there a book or an article i can read on this subject to get more information?