1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looking for a USB plugin Recorder

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by GeneralElectric, Mar 3, 2008.

1. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    Howdy

Well I've decided I want to record my song ideas and possibly put stuff up on youtube. However I need a recorder. I don't know much about computers, and I have a newish (Aug07) Sony Vaio laptop. I've recorded on my soundcard before albiet on my desktop and it sounded like utter crap, and wouldn't work unless I plugged my amp into it as well (the computer was crappy too)

So now I'm looking into USB type recording systems, preferably something easy to use and portable. Any suggestions?

Sorry for being a n00b. I used the FAQ and felt unudated with lots of info that was very confusing and not very helpful.

Thanks for any help.:)

2. Ten Four One

Ten Four One

Dec 5, 2006
    I'm happy with my M-Audio MobilePre USB.

3. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    That stealth plug looks pretty darn fly. I think I'll give it a whirl. Anyone here have experience with it?

4. HT Paul

HT Paul

Mar 3, 2008
    For recording I use Samson USB mics, I've got two of the dynamics ($50 each) and one condenser ($80) (available at Sam Ash and elsewhere). You can easily get by on one if need be.

I run these straight to the computer, and record on Kristal Audio Engine, free multitrack software, check google for it. Lots of great VST plugins out there compatable with Kristal, check www.vstcentral.com

Everything at www.myspace.com/heartlesshearsemen was recorded with this set up. (the bass by the way is a ccb dog house, K&K pup, GK head, late 60's 4x10 Gibson PA cab, not played by me but by Travis Trash. I'm playing the Gretsch 5125 through germanium boost, Carl Martin Red Repeat, Stinger Verbasonic 2x10 combo w/ JJ Tubes)