1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

looking for acoustic advice

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kctrimer, Nov 24, 2010.

1. kctrimer

kctrimer

Nov 24, 2010
    I'm looking for a mid-level acoustic/electric bass, I've looked at a couple but was not impressed with their lack of good sound when not plugged in. Most music store don't carry many if any in stock to try before I buy, so I'm looking for any advice you can give on what you have found to be a good acoustic/electric bass. Thanks

2. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    First and foremost, why do you want an acoustic bass?

3. kctrimer

kctrimer

Nov 24, 2010
    for playing in an acoustic setting with my guitar playing buddies with or with out the electric element needed,but still the option

4. tinman 1967

tinman 1967

Mar 6, 2010
    I sit at one of my friends kitchen table on occasion and play his acoustic Fender (nice instument),while he and another guy play acoustic guitars.

Its OK, but everytime we do it, I wish I was plugged in. Just does not seem to have that much of a presence you know?

We play soft rock of the 60s and 70s type stuff. Gordon Lightfoot, Niel Young, Cat Stevens, stuff like that, and these 2 guys are not heavy pickers either.

Just not enough bass ....

My .02 for what its worth.

5. MD

MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
    First, I'd suggest a search, key words: "ABG" or "acoustic". Sift through the pages of threads on the subject for a while.

Hit YouTube, look and listen. Videos certainly wont answer all your questions, but you can get somewhat of an idea of their nature.

Most importantly, accept the instrument for what it is, and don't expect it to be what it's not.

6. LaklandBass

LaklandBass

Jan 26, 2005
    IL
    i was pleasantly surprised by the ibanez offering at GC.

also... i owned a fender.... i think a bg31 or something like that.... didnt like it all that much.. low volume.... decent neck... poor electronics.

7. There are two or three models which are among the loudest - which is needed if you're actually going to be nearly as audible as a decent acoustic guitar. I believe the Tacoma is one - another is the Ovation or Applause (same design) deep bowl A/E basses. I have an Applause short scale and it's pretty audible...but only in a practice or living room situation.

People either like the bowl back on the Ovation/Applause or they hate it. Personally I'm fine with it. I'm sure other models which are among the louder will be mentioned. You just can't generate much sound out of an A/E bass without having a fair amount of air space within the instrument's body, so the ones with volume are always good-sized.

I do think they make great practice basses, because you don't have to mess with cables and amps.

Here's my Applause....

Applause_Bass_WS-2_in_case-1.

8. wallybill

wallybill

Apr 4, 2007
    Tuscola, Il.
    I sure like my Martin BC-15E. It's got great sound and is loud enough for the campfire jams. It really sings with a pick, not so much with finger style.
    Martin-1.

9. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    In general, due to the acoustic bass' design, it wont be as loud as its guitar and baritone counterparts. It's an unfortunate truth of physics. However, if you find something with a nice large body and it feels good to you (check out Tacoma or Michael Kelly for some good, reasonably-priced acoustics), get it. Sometimes all an acoustic needs is a nice set of phosphor bronze strings (which also add incredible volume to the instrument).

10. kctrimer

kctrimer

Nov 24, 2010
    thanks to every one for the advice it helps greatly.

11. skwee

skwee

Apr 2, 2010
    Minneapolis
    The Dean AEB is big and loud. It took me a long time to find a case to fit it hough.

12. Gougedeye

Gougedeye Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Central Washington
    I've been struggling with this very question for many years...wanting an acoustic bass, but then realizing they're just not loud enough. My cure, so to speak, was to buy a small battery powered amp. I have two now, the Fender AmpCan and a Crate Taxi. Both work well for those around the camp fire jams. I now have a Victor Bailey 5 string Acoustic, but I tried The Fender Kingman the other day, it seemed like a pretty decent bass for mot too much scratch. Good luck with your search.

13. To be honest i wouldnt bother....
    I have an ABG and i have only used it a few times!
    It doesnt have enough volume to compete with 2 guitars in an unplugged situation (which is really what you want an ABG for)and i dont really think it sound that good in a mix when plugged in compared to an electric even alongside acoustic instruments!
    I just bought a gretsch hollowbody and that although it has "no" unplugged volume sounds a LOT nicer when plugged in and keeps this woody acoustic tone...

14. chjohnst

chjohnst

Nov 24, 2008
    The Fender Kingman is pretty nice, neck is just like a jazz neck on the electric model. Only downside is its a little heavy at the top of the neck (neck dive), but tolerable. I have to change the strings on it, going to try some nylon tapewounds.

15. I think there's something to a semi-hollow, chambered, semi-acoustic, etc.

I use a Rob Allen, but there are plenty of basses that can fill the acoustic void. While they'll need amplification, they don't have any of the downsides of an ABG.