Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Looking for Effects For Beginner

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by P RicanWITaBASS, Jul 13, 2005.

1. suggestions, comments, sum effect or pedal ud like to sell, advice, general info, just wanna say sumting
    PLZ POST

im a begginer and am looking for about $100-250 of pedals and effects to get me started and need all the help i can get cuz i kno nothing about them at all, so ALL HELP AND WISDOM OR PLAIN OUT INFO IS APPRECIATED

THNX TO ALL WHO POST (plz just dont look at the thread and go to another even if ur a begginer and dont kno wat ur talking about id luv and random comments too!!!!!)

P RICAN OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    catch me on aim as KidWithABass77
    and my xanga is gettokillajay

2. TheNerdBass

TheNerdBass

Jun 30, 2005
    Detroit, MI
    The price of a standard effects pedal is around $100, for a nice one. You could also get a multi effects pedal, like the Digitech BP50, for less.

-=Multi Effects=-
    Digitech BP50
    Digitech BP80
    Digitech BP200

Line 6 Pod XT

Boss GT-6B

-=Single Effects=-

Digitech Overdrive
    Digitech Squeeze
    Digitech Chorus
    Digitech Wah

Boss Chorus
    Boss EQ
    Boss Limiter/Enhancer
    Boss Overdrive
    Boss Synth

MXR Octave
    MXR DI
    MXR Auto Q

If you don't know what these effects do, just use the search function. Also, try them at a store before you buy them.

3. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I'm sure everybody would be glad if you could make a little effort regarding spelling and syntax. :)

4. +1 - agree with Jazz. This isn't AIM, and if you read some threads, you'll realize that people spell out words here. If you haven't noticed, you've got people from all ages and nationalities here. You'll definitely get more responses from a wider audience if you cut out the IM-speak. It's hard to read and shows every one of your 13 years.

This is a forum for information, and there's many years of it here. I'd suggest reading a lot, resist starting threads that have (probably) been done to death already, and contributing when you feel the need.

Or buy a dizztorshun and WAAAHHH like Cliff 'em All Bertun so U cn ply Ann Us theezia (plng tth) lk Klf. ROFL!!1one!!eleven :hyper:

Don't get mad, get glad. :D

5. cheer up IM kid

words usually don't have numbers

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    First of all, it would be in your best interest to speak in proper English on this board and others as more members will be willing to help if we can understand what we're reading on first glance instead of translating. AIM speak doesn't go over very well on this board (as a large number of members are WAY TOO OLD to use it :))

Above that, read the FAQ's and all stickies at the top of the forums, you'll find a wealth of ingortmation. And if that doesn't work, do a search, THEN ask questions.

But for my recommendations: play anything and everything and buy it if you like it.

I personally feel a good basic pedalboard has a distortion, chorus, and maybe a Flanger. I would recommend single effects over multi-effects.

And lastly, why not tell us a little more about the style of music you play and the sounds you want to achieve.

7. You need to tell us what kind of effects you're looking for, but distortion and/or wah is usually a good bet... a multi-FX will give you a sample of everything, though usually at worse quality. I recommend the BP200, it has amp modelers, an expression pedal (wah and volume) and just about any effect you want.

8. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    Looking at your profile, it looks like you are into Metal, Rock, etc.

I agree with TPylons about single pedals over a multiFX unit.

So, a couple of suggestions:

1) Overdrive/distortion to get the dirty growl. There's a link to the Megathread int eh FAQ, but in your price range, I'd look at BOSS, Digitech, DOD, Ibanez, and Electro Harmonix. All of them make great products that will work well on Bass.
    2) Wah Pedal. I use the Dunlop 105Q. Check out Dunlop and Morley for greta Bass wah's.
    3) I'm a big fan of a good chorus, because it makes my town thicker.

That's a good start, and well within your budget.

9. Boss CEB-3 is most definitely the first pedal you should get. It's affordable, and amazing. Chorus on a bass is amazing, but some distortions sound like crap. (I'm not a big distortion fan, and if you play metal nothing's worse than a bass and a guitar being distorted at the same time, IMO.)

10. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Compression may not seem Flashy or Cool, but when you try one out, you'll realize why they are so popular! I didn't want one at first because all it did was fix my clean tone up... I wanted flashy weird stuff! But compression is very very cool.