Looking for info/help with Yamaha RBX800a wiring

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by SicGroove, May 8, 2012.

1. SicGroove

SicGroove

Feb 23, 2012
    Hi guys,

A friend has just asked me to help sort out a bass guitar he picked up cheap as it was pretty much dead.

The bass in question is a Yamaha RBX800a, has a really nice straight neck and feels really nice to play.

Unfortunately it was abused by its last owner and aside from some mechanical issues (which ive managed to sort) the biggest problem is the complete lack of wiring. There's pickup wires coming into the cavity(p&j style, both with red, white and shield), wires from the battery compartment and the bridge ground wire but no preamp or pots.

I figured I'd wire the pickups direct to the jack so he can play it until we find a suitable preamp but..... the pickups dont seem to pick up the E or A strings, D & G strings are fine.

My multimeter is dead so I cant meter the pickups until I go into work tomorrow.

Does anyone have schematics, pics or info that could help me find whats wrong?

Cheers in advance

2. SicGroove

SicGroove

Feb 23, 2012
    Somebody must know something, surely?

3. JustForSport

JustForSport

Nov 17, 2011
    'P' pups?
    Got my RBX775 wired passive 'til I set a decent pre...
    Sounds great as-is.
    All I can think of is U have split 'P' pup and one side has no/loose connection...
    dbl check all wiring.

4. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    I just spotted this thread (thanks to JustForSport bumping it). I realize it's almost 3 months old. Last week I picked up a RBX800A in excellent condition, all straight. I have my tech going over it right now for a little neck tweakage and setup. Should be back next week. I don't think pics of the control cavity would help you since you say the preamp is gone. Just wire it up standard passive P/J and see how it goes. I may end up doing that myself.

It's definitely a bass worth the effort to get it playing. I love the neck and expect to be using it often.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021