1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

looking for new 5 string bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by primaboy100, Oct 13, 2013.

1. primaboy100

primaboy100

Oct 13, 2013
    I've been playing the bass for nearly two years and I bought a fender affinity 4 string jazz bass last year october, but I'm looking to buy a 5 string. I'm looking for something in the mid ranged price and I've seen quite good stuff about the Squier vintage modified 5 string jazz bass and the Peavey cirrus 5 bxp. I play stuff like jazz, gospel and soul, what are other good basses?

2. WretchedExcess

WretchedExcess

Jul 29, 2013
    In that same price range, I'd check out the Sterling by Music Man SUB Ray5.

3. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
  4. Gougedeye

Gougedeye Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Central Washington
    If you like 35" scale, you might look at Schecter Diamond P. Nice bass for low funds.

5. levis76

levis76 Seconds from getting ba...

Apr 14, 2007
    Metro Detroit
    As always, try to play before you buy. Make sure you like the feel of the neck and the B string, although you can tweak the feel of the B by experimenting with string type and gauge.

That being said, if you can get your hands on one, I would recommend a Spector Rebop 5. Prices on the used market are fantastic. I own one and love it, esp after swapping in a set of 40DCs.

If that isn't your cup of tea, I've always fancied a Brubaker Brute, an MJ5. Those look killer and I've heard nothing but good things about the tone and build quality. They don't come up for sale often and go quickly when they do.

Both of these basses not only sound great, but they look great too. Either bass would be right at home on any jazz, soul, or gospel gig.

6. swing

swing

Apr 25, 2000
    London
    +1 for the Sterling by Music Man SUB Ray5...

7. taylor16

taylor16

Dec 25, 2012
    USA
    Can't recommend a Lakland 55-01 or previously owned 55-02 enough. Fantastic 5 bangers.

8. Dluxe

Dluxe

Jan 9, 2011
    Austin, TX
    You can't go wrong with a used Carvin LB-75. They seem to go for under $500 all day long.