1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Looking for some funk

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Twospot, Jan 7, 2012.

1. Twospot

Twospot

Jan 1, 2012
    Toms River,NJ
    I all! I'm just getting into bass and I am looking for some new tunes to listen to outside of the normal hard rock and metal I normally do.

I am interested in some real funky stuff, but more of the rock genre. I know there are some great funk bands like tower of power and others. I know these bands are great but they tend to lose me because they just don't have enough bite for me.

Can anyone recommend some good funk bands that are a little harder from a rock perspective? Thanks!

2. cschenk78

cschenk78

Mar 12, 2000
    Watertown, NY
    Early Incubus has a funky side to it as well as Infectious Grooves...

Keep listening until you find something that moves you...

3. ffutterman

ffutterman Talentless Bass Enthusiast

May 7, 2010
    Philadelphia
  4. bass12

bass12 And Grace, too

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Funkadelic would be a good place to start. Ohio Players as well. And check out the song "Deaf Hook-Up Connection" by Don Blackman. You might also like some early Chili Peppers (Freaky Styley) and Fishbone.

5. Hmm... off the top of my head, these don't all fall under the "funk with bite" umbrella, but I LOVE funk and these have all been inspirations. Check out the bands of course, but here are some of my favs:

Lettuce - Squadlive

Soulive - Vapor
    (Lettuce's "little brother"... Lettuce is Soulive with additional people)

Phunk Junkeez - Join In (and who couldn't mention Devil Woman? lol)

Infectious Grooves - Violent and Funky
    (Suicidal Tendencies alter ego I believe)

Beastie Boys - In 3's
    (The In Sound From Way Out and The Mix Up are instrumental awesomesauce, but not the most known BBoys albums)

Gramatik - In My Hood
    (more hip hop, but still cool, check out the Street Bangers albums)

EARLY Incubus - Redefine
    (check S.C.I.E.N.C.E. in particular. Their new stuff got kind of... emo? alternative? whiny? lol)

5sg.

6. Check out Funkadelic, the album "Maggot Brain" in particular. And also their albums: "Free your mind...", and "Standing on the verge of getting it on".

Funkadelic - Hit It And Quit It (HQ) - YouTube
    Funkadelic- Standing On The Verge Of Getting It On.mp4 - YouTube

Praxis - Transmutations

Praxis - Animal Behavior - YouTube
    Praxis - Seven Laws Of Woo - Transmutation (Mutatis Mutandis) - YouTube

Sly and the family stone:

Sly & The Family Stone - Underdog - YouTube
    Sly and the Family Stone - Sing a Simple Song - YouTube

+1 on Primus, Incubus etc.

Fishbone, Living colour, and Lenny Kravitz are also worth checking out

7. Another +1, Primus is awesome. Les has some of the craziest bass lines ever... and he sings over them.

You might also check out the Funk 101 and Funk 102 threads. LOTS of REALLY good stuff in there, but you'll have some work ahead of you going through it all.

5sg.

8. Twospot

Twospot

Jan 1, 2012
    Toms River,NJ
  9. Twospot

Twospot

Jan 1, 2012
    Toms River,NJ
    Thanks. I'll check these out. +1 on Redefine. LOVE that tune, but I thought that was a rare funky gem for Incubus. Their later stuff is definitely blah LOL from where they were.

10. Twospot

Twospot

Jan 1, 2012
    Toms River,NJ
    Thanks all! I'm gonna check these all out. Very kind to take time and include links. It's very much appreciated!

11. It's not funk per se and probably not what you're looking for, but you might take a look at James Jamerson and the Funk Brothers and see if you can get into it. They were some of the most influential musicians of modern music EVER. They played on more #1's than ANYONE, but were almost completely unknown. Check out groups like The Temptations, The Four Tops, Marvin Gaye and The Supremes.......

This is one of my favorite basslines of all time. Just listen to the bass. Wow.
    Stevie Wonder - I Was Made To Love Her

Just a thought. ;)

5sg.

12. bass12

bass12 And Grace, too

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    I forgot to mention Slave and Mandrill.

13. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

Jan 20, 2011
  14. funkstag

funkstag

Jun 30, 2010
    New Zealand
    RHCP - Blood Sugar Sex Magik. (Funky Monks outro) z0mg

15. ffutterman

ffutterman Talentless Bass Enthusiast

May 7, 2010
    Philadelphia
    I thought that was Vitamin C singing a song called "Can", and I couldn't picture her and good funk being used in the same sentence.

16. One of the best albums ever, IMO.

5sg.

17. Try to get access to any of the early seventies funk collection CDs such as Funky Funky Chicago to get down to the real roots of funk. Kind of refreshing hearing bands that get stuck into a tiny studio and crank out 4-5 singles a day, no retakes.

18. Twospot

Twospot

Jan 1, 2012
    Toms River,NJ
    I totally agree!

19. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA