Looking for something like a 4 string version of a Squier Bass VI

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Peeved T-40, Feb 18, 2021.

1. Peeved T-40

Peeved T-40

Jan 12, 2021
    Like the title says, is there anything like a Squier Bass VI but with only four strings?

Basically I want a super skinny neck that would make it easier to play guitar shapes but would rather not have the extra strings; partly because four strings is what I'm used too and partly because it just sounds like an interesting instrument.

Are there any four string basses with hyper skinny necks?

2. RayWithFlats

RayWithFlats

Mar 22, 2020
    on the 1
    Eastwood Warren Ellis Tenor Baritone?

Warren Ellis Tenor Baritone 2P

Stock tuning is CDGA, don’t know if it would take EADG tuning well.

I’ve not really heard one in action but the tenor guitar version is great, Ellis played one on Nick Cave’s Push The Sky Away album and it sounds brilliant.

canuckshort likes this.
  3. Peeved T-40

Peeved T-40

Jan 12, 2021
    That looks pretty interesting actually. I could probably get into that tuning but I wonder if you could string it with bass strings. either ways, that looks like a pretty neat instrument

4. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    Are you looking for short string as well?
    If so, maybe look for a used Squier Jaguar SS. I remember those having very slim necks.
    The current Squier Jaguar is medium scale and claims to have a slim neck.
    The Ibanez GSRM20 miKro is about as close to guitar-sized as I know of, but I wouldn't call it "hyper skinny" but normal.
    I believe Framus used to make the skinniest necks for basses. They had a few solidbodies like the Strato, but most of them are hollow or semi-hollow, and I believe all models were short scale.
    The Unique Guitar Blog: The Framus Star Bass

5. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Dec 1, 2013
    Italia
    Let me split your inquiry in two, since there may be future readers interested in what the title exactly says.
    Yes, there are a couple models which are literally 4-string versions of a Fender/Squier Bass VI:

1) the ESP Edwards E-T-95BIV, Tetsuya Signature Bass IV (long scale):
    skkbfvo0kvjapc1sh5v3.jpg

2) the Fender Classic Player Rascal Bass (short scale):
    fender-classic-player-rascal-bass_web-png.png

Now this is a whole other question.
    I like the Eastwood Warren Ellis Tenor Baritone suggestion. It is a 26" scale instrument and you'd need to either
    - try using untapered light sets (with, say, a low E string that's no fatter than .095" so that it doesn't break at the post, by virtue of its inherent flexibility, as well as the reduced scale hence tension);
    - order a custom winding length set from Newtone or Pyramid;
    - carefully unravel large strings to length (better if secured from unravelling further, between post and nut, with solder or a sleeve of heat-shrink tubing).
    Regarding string tension exerted on a thin neck (33.33mm at nut), to quote myself from a dedicated thread about the Eastwood:
    It does have a truss rod, so I guess you could venture a notch heavier.

I think I like the idea of looking into old basses, or reissues thereof, with pencil-thin necks more.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2021