1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Looking to increase the string gauge/tension on my Rogue VB100

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by gregstj114, Aug 11, 2012.

1. Hello TB,

I'm looking up increase the string tension on my Rogue VB100. It's a little annoying that the when it's tuned to standard, the strings are still kind of floppy. Currently I'm using old Rotosound 66s (45-105 long scale), but I'm looking to upgrade to D'Addario XL ProSteels 50-105. Will the D'Addarios give me a tighter string tension? I know a little about string tension, so any additional info or advice is appreciated:D

2. PBnJBassist

PBnJBassist

Mar 8, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Well, do you like the sound of the Roto 66s? If so, then just up it to the 50-110 gauge. Not sure how tension & flexibility compare with ProSteels and 66s since it's been awhile since I've played either sets, let alone played with rounds.

3. Oh yeah I really dig the sound I get out of them. I didn't even think about getting a different gauge lol. The ProSteels intrigued me though, it depends on what my local GC has in stock.

4. Thurb

Thurb

Jun 19, 2012
    I wouldn't get ProSteels, you won't have any frets left after playing for a couple hours.

5. That would suck! I can really attack the strings when I play lol.

6. FretlessMainly

FretlessMainly

Nov 17, 2010
    Not only are you severely limiting yourself in terms of string choices, you are paying too much if you buy your strings at a store like GC.

There are excellent on-line resources for bass strings:

BassStringsOnline is one (and Jason is a member here; apparently you get a talkbass member discount) and, in the interest of equal time, I've used JustStrings for years (sorry Jason; I'll give you some business soon!) with no problems.

Unlike GC, which may have about 10 sets from which to choose, these on-line sources have more like 100+ sets from which to choose.

Circle K is also on-line.

7. I've used JustStrings in the past for many purchases. Jason I think messaged me once when I was asking about the D'Addario Tapewounds and I did make an account on BassStringsOnline. You're right, I definitely would have a much better variety if I went online instead of going to GC.