1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Looks like I've joined a band

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bassinplace, Jul 31, 2012.

1. bassinplace

bassinplace

Dec 1, 2008
    My first as a bassist after two years in the shed. Not my first rodeo as a band member though. It has been over 10 years though! :eek:

The bass lines are dirt simple which is good for me starting out. Not too much pressure. I like the songs, I think they're quite good, actually.

Given my desire to step outside of the shed, I accepted their offer. But I have some trepadation, as follows:

1. I was told the rehearsal space was about 2 miles away from my house. This weighed in heavily in my interest and decision to join. After rehearsal was over, turns out they can't always get the space when they want and may have to travel what I consider to be quite far for rehearsal. We can play at my house on weekend afternoons, so I offered that. The guitar player said he didn't want to move his double recitfier though, which I don't understand, which leads me to...

2. The guitar player. He seems like he might possibly have a bit of a primadonna thing going on. The band is fronted by a female whose name is on the band. She wrote all the songs but she has limited musical knowledge and the guitarist appears to be the director of the band in that aspect. Based on what I've gleaned. Nothing's been said about it yet though. I may have to get clarification on that. Anyway, he seems to smoke a lot of pot. He was constantly smoking it on down time. Didn't seem to affect him negatively though.

When we were on break, the singer, drummer and I would go outside and shoot the ****, while the guitarist stayed inside and hung with the other band that was there doing some recording while we were rehearsing. Never came outside once, which struck me as at least a little odd.

3. Are personalities are very different. I'm pretty reserved generally speaking and they definitely aren't. I'm good at communicating though and they seem to be too so hopefully we should be able to mesh on an acceptable level in that respect. They all seem to like drinking and drugging though and I'm totally straight, I gave up all that stuff years ago and they're the same age bracket as me (mid 40's). I'm a drummer so I know what I want to hear on drums and the drums sounded pretty phoned in to me at the audition. Granted the songs are very simple and repetitive so I can see how it could be easy to get complacent, I'm thinking as we tighten up that'll come into it's own and become gig worthy.

So, they offered and I accepted but I'm just in a we'll see kinda mode right now. Wish me luck. Any thoughts on the subject are welcome.

2. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Intergalactic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon sofware
    If the band can't always get the same rehearsal space, doesnt the guitar player have to move his amp anyways?

3. dvh

dvh Supporting Member

Sep 1, 2006
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Remember the three-legged foundation of why one plays music:

1) For the music
    2) For the “hang”
    3) For the money

If you don’t have at least two out of three it’s probably not worthwhile. If you think there’s a chance, give it some time…..

4. Good luck to you sir...

I knew I was im the right spot when everyone was on board with setting goals! And taking steps to meet those goals.

Right now... Ita the music and hang... The money is starting to come in though because of those goals we set.

5. bassinplace

bassinplace

Dec 1, 2008
    My thought exactly. :confused:

6. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    For me (weekend hack, not a pro), the most important thing is the interaction between band members. If we struggle to get along and communicate, it's not worth my time. I'd rather play with less-talented people having a good time together than amazing players that are a-holes.

I'm not much of a pot smoker, but our drummer smokes a LOT. He's also the best drummer I've ever played with, and is the best musician in our band. He has proven himself to be rock-solid no matter how high he is. Some people are like that. Our guitar player, however, falls apart very quickly and is smart enough to wait until after rehearsals to take a few hits.

Good luck to you.

7. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Apr 12, 2012
    Ireland
    Good for you - Enjoy it!

8. bassinplace

bassinplace

Dec 1, 2008
    Right. I'm diggin' the tunes. Money I don't care about. It's the vibe I'm getting that makes me a bit wary. I figure I have to give it a fair chance though. We've only met once so far.

9. cableguy

cableguy Supporting Member

Jun 4, 2009
    North Bend, WA
    My thoughts too. Like a guitar amp is too heavy.......PALEEZE.:D

10. Remember, if you're not gigging then it's just a boys' night out. Not that there's anything wrong with a boys' night out, mind you. ;)

11. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    Good luck, band situations are never perfect.

12. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Just remember that you are a "free agent" and you have signed no binding contracts to be in this band. You are free to walk at any time (I know us bass players are usually very level headed and loyal and this goes against our nature). So, I would join and if in a week, month, year, decade, things arent what you want, bolt. In the meantime, you get back into gigging shape.

13. bassinplace

bassinplace

Dec 1, 2008
    +1

14. slobake

slobake resident ... something Supporting Member

Thats's awesome. Even if this band doesn't work out it may open some doors for other oppotunities to play.
    Been playing with my band for about a year now. When we first started things where very unorganized and everything seemed to evolve around the main singer. I felt like quitting but someone here on TB talked to me about "leading from the chair." I started taking what I did very seriously and not worrying about anyone else. I show up to practice prepared , I already knew the songs well and had all the music organized.
    I think my example encouraged the rest of the band as well my words of encouragement. We are getting tighter and tighter as a band (I know because we have gotten comments from people who hear us regurlarly.) We also have become very good friends and our reharsals are intentional but also a lot of fun. Last week we knew we had our set list down after going through it once. Then we just jammed for a couple of hours.

15. bassinplace

bassinplace

Dec 1, 2008
    Nice! Encouraging. Thanks!

16. bassinplace

bassinplace

Dec 1, 2008
    On second thought, maybe not. 2nd rehearsal was shakier than jello. Lots of pot being smoked and no discussion of goals or ideas. Really odd, their cd is rock solid. Gonna tell her today it's not a fit.

17. I'm glad you've found a band man. It's alot of fun to play in one but if you don't see things going in a positive direction then don't waste your time.

18. MickyZ

MickyZ

Jul 17, 2012
    Twin Cities, MN
    I hate to rain on the parade, but you're in the wrong band, man. These tokers, as a group, aren't going anywhere. The singer isn't musical, the guitarist is a prima donna and won't associate with the band on break, and there are no goals or vision - don't be surprised if it folds like a card table. It sounds like you're conscientious, but it also sounds like these dweebs are not - perhaps more in love with the rock star life style than actually being, like, musicians. The CD is rock solid? Lots of tricks can be done in studio, including comping bits and pieces of tracks into a cohesive, seamless-sounding "whole".

Don't feel bad walking away from these losers.

19. bassinplace

bassinplace

Dec 1, 2008
    I wouldn't be so harsh as to call them "losers", I don't know them, but other than that I think you're hitting the nail on the head.