Loop Station Idea's

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by joedecenso, Jun 14, 2011.

1. joedecenso

joedecenso

May 9, 2011
    I just bought a loop station and have been just messing around with it. I seen victor wooten use one in groove workshop and took a solo over a phrase. I want your guys advice on when to use the loop station. I know victor wooten uses one to play a solo because once you start soloing the groove is lost. So, In addition to using it during a solo, when else would you use it in the context of a song. Verse? Chorus?

Thanks

2. Stick_Player

Stick_Player Inactive

Nov 13, 2009
    Somewhere on the Alaska Panhandle (Juneau)
    Endorser: Plants vs. Zombies Pea Shooters
    I use the RC-50, but it's sync'd to an external time source. That way it never 'gets lost'. :D

When to use it? Whenever you want.

3. Bloodhammer

Bloodhammer Twinkle Twinkle Black Star

Jul 7, 2009
    Shreveport, Louisiana
    I think they're great for composing arrangements with multiple layers/instruments.

That and layering loops until you have a wall of sound. That's always fun. :D

4. slaerts

slaerts

Aug 3, 2006
    I have the 20xl. I use mine for lots of reasons the best one is for practice. I can play a bass line or use my accoustic guitar to record a rhythm or both. Then I can practice a solo or experiment with my bass lines or timing. A very handy tool. Its also good for slowing down tricky bits til I can get it.

5. XylemBassGuitar

XylemBassGuitar Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 14, 2008
    Durango, CO
    Owner and Operator, Xylem Handmade Basses and Guitars
    +1. The loop station is one heck of a practice tool.

Be very conservative when using it with a band at first. It's easy to add a little too much bass and make the whole mix sound muddy.

You should also get real good at timing your loops. If you're even a split second too early or late when hitting the stop button you can really mess up your drummer (and the whole groove). Make sure to master it yourself and use it a little bit at band practice with the other members so all of you guys are comfortable with the looper.

By the way, when a bass player solos, the groove is not necessarily lost.

6. echoSE7EN

echoSE7EN

Jul 1, 2010
    Balto., MD
    +1. I've used mine in conjunction with my bass and keyboard in the past. I find it's great when laying down the verse or chorus chords/melodies, and then playing over it to write. I just think they are great wood-shedding tools.

7. cire113

cire113

Apr 25, 2008
    I use mine for practice.. the ideas you can do on it are infinitei.. i usually do a progression on bass... comp guitar chords on bass... put in a backbeat then solo over it..

If you add too many dubs it doesnt sound good there is isnt enough "space"...

Usually a bass line, guitar comp chords, rhythm back beats.. are enough to fill that...

8. makkE

makkE

Jan 19, 2010
    Normandie, France
    I know I want one so bad - for practice. Dunno what I'd use it for in a band though.

9. BobaFret

BobaFret

Jan 22, 2008
    Aside from the song writing/practice usability, I'm looking at it as more of a performance tool. I'm selecting songs to try and re-create on the fly live. Not just bass but acoustic guitar/ vocals and whatever else I decide.

I've gained a lot of useful knowledge mapping out horn parts and such via different methods. If you can play all the parts I'd figure it's easy to teach somebody the song. Until I can find the correct band mates the looper will be my crutch.

10. TripleDouble

TripleDouble Guest

Aug 5, 2008
    try playing a little 8th note ostinato melody up high, say in the key of E minor, layer some type of percussive hits, then play a groovy bassline underneath this that changes to different chords like E minor, D, C B7...whatever sounds cool, get creative! I find with loop pedals being kind of sparse makes for the most interesting stuff. Check out Brian Eno records.

11. cire113

cire113

Apr 25, 2008
    its not very useful for playing with a band IMO.... because it takes away the playing live dynamic....

I use it when im jamming just to repeat a bassline and i pretend like im still playing but im really not lol...

You have to get really good at making it have good time with a band... its really hard..

BTW i have the digitech jamman solo... amazing piece of equipment!!!

12. ghiadub

ghiadub

Jan 17, 2006
    Auburn, CA
    I use it to play tunes, laying down a bass drum first by tapping a muted string and then overdub everything else once that is solid.

I also have another delay before the looper and I will occasionally play a shorter arpeggio and get it to create a rhythm, then lay down an actual bassline over the longer repeating pattern of the delay and then improvise from there.

You are really only limited by your imagination. I jammed with a band "bad news" out of seattle, WA. Their sax player uses a few loopers to create these huge soundscapes.

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021