Lost gear scare...

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by 43% burnt, May 11, 2005.

1. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Last night I played a show, where all the bands we're being rushed to set up and breakdown faster than humanly possible. So in the midst of breaking down all fast. I loaded all of my gear, and my guitar players into my truck. When I got home, I nearly had a heart attack in my driveway...when I realized my bass wasn't in there. The show was 1 1/2 hrs. from my house, it was 1am, and I had to be at work at 9. So, needless to say, I was freaking out. I just bought that one less than a month ago (Fender Aerodyne j-bass w/hsc). I called our singer who stayed to sell some merch. He already left.

Luckily I had the promoter's # who booked us...He had just left when I called. He was kind enough to go back and check for me. I am so lucky, because when he got back they were locking up, but he got in and my bass was still there where i left it. So he's holding it for me...thank god. I'm gonna do something nice for this guy...any suggestions?

Anyway it was a horrible experience. I bring lots of stuff to shows, and I keep thinking "how could i forget THAT?" Guitar stands, power cords, etc..are understandable but my bass? I'm so glad someone didn't walk off with it.

Anyone else have similar experiences?
  2. I felt truly sick to my stomach when I read that!! :eek: :eek:

Congratulations on such a postive result to what could have been such a disastrous evening. :)

I've never experienced anything remotely like that (I'm pleased to say :meh: ) and I can certainly see that you would want to do something "nice" for the guy who saved the day. No idea what though. :confused: :confused:

I guess a free/ reduced fee gig would be overkill? :D :D
  3. Wesley R

Wesley R Supporting Member

I would consider either a gift cert. to a reasonble food place, a high qty of his favorite alcohol or the latest trend in spiffs a loaded gas card.

Wesley R.

PS, one time (and only one) I was away and the band had a sub bassist. They forgot my PA mains outside the bar! No one noticed. On Sunday the bar called the drummer and asked him to pick up the cabs. Out side from 2;00am until about Noon, no rain. I lucked out
  4. protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Yea some place nice to eat would be a nice gesture I think.
  5. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Yeah...I threw up in my mouth a little

I think I'll get him a gift card to a restaraunt...thats a great idea. Thanks guys.
  6. nataku

Jun 21, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    if you draw fans, i would do a free show, but it seems youve already decided, nvm
  7. xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    ugh, thats why whenever i load stuff into our trailer, i count.

3 cabs
    3 heads
    6 guitar cases(4 guitar, 2 bass)
    3 tool boxes
    6 merch boxes
    5 drum bags
    1 ardware bag
  8. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Yeah I usually double check everything, Now i'm going to make a check list to bring with me to shows.

Would have really sucked if I didn't know the person who booked it. Sometimes we get shows though email, and thats all the contact info We have...From now on i'm getting Phone #'s for promoters and venues. Just in case.
  9. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Hey, it happens. I've played more shows than I can count, and in some instance, for some reason, something will get left behind. I'm sure there are guys that have played thousands of shows and never lost anything, but I think the majority of people probably have a brain fart every now and then. Especially when you finish up and the hot chick is talking to you, and you're pontificating on how you messed up that one part, even though you didn't, and she wouldn't know if you did, but you want to seem all humble and brooding, and all passionate about the music, and that's really what I'm here for, and oh, did my eyes wander there, no no, I'm paying attention, and what was your name again, and oh yeah, that is a good tune huh, I like it, funny story about that...

Where was I?

Oh yes, we all forget stuff. I'm glad it worked out for you. Fortunately for me, it's only been a cable or two left here or there. A restaurant gift certificate is nice, or a bottle of Grey Goose or Johnny Black if that's his thing, or a bottle of sparkling wine or something.
  10. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Go ahead and thank the promoter, he did get your bass, but . . .

isn't it his fault in the first place for booking too many bands into too little time so you all were pressured into loading faster than humanly possible?
  11. xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    something always gets left bhind, but its usually the drummer not getting his stuff together.