Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

loudest amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by eric234, May 22, 2005.

1. eric234

eric234 Guest

Mar 11, 2005
    philadelphia
    i just wanted to know what is the loudest and best sounding amp that you can buy for no more than 400$

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
  3. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Get an old folded horn cab and replace the speaker with some relly efficent new driver and get a Peavey Firebass 700 or some other Peavey Mark series head. This will blow your clothes off, but it won't sound overly awesome... :bassist:

4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    It all depends on what your definition of loud is. what sort of band are you going to be playing it in, and how loud is it going to get?

IME, generally when players ask for "what is the loudest amp in this price range?" they're looking for a relativly LOUD amp.

IME, that means at least 200-400 watts and a 4x10, a 2x12, a 2x15, or a 2x10 and a 1x15. Even in the used market that generally gives you a floor of about a grand. (I know some of you will disagree with me on some or all of those points, but that's why i said "IME"). ;)

It's always a shock to newer players to find out that the amp they need to play in a medium to high volume band ends up costing them more then their bass. :eek:

Anyhow, some more info about what you plan to do with the amp would help. :)

5. ryco

ryco

Apr 24, 2005
  6. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Build your own with used parts!

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    OK then, read it and HEED it.

8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Great advice!

Just because you want there to be a less expensive solution doesn't mean that there is.

Best case, if you have a local music store that has a lot of used stuff, you might find a 200 watt head for $250 and an old 410 or 215 cabinet for $250.

You are already $100 over your budget, and probably do not have a loud enough setup.

If you manage to find a 400 - 500 watt head for $450, and the cabinet will hold up to that kind of power, you have now spent $700, and still might not have enough volume, unless you get a newer, more efficient speaker setup.

So now, let's say you find something like a used Eden 410XLT for $500. You have spent $950, and probably have a loud enough setup.

For $400, it is not going to happen.

9. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Do you prefer new or used?

Are you looking for a combo or a head and/or cab?

What kind of music do you play?

Do you play a 4, 5 or 6 string?

And FYI, at that price, your wattage will be relatively low so I hope you are not planning on any stadium gigs!

This is all very important information that will help to determine what your needs are.

:D

Joe.

10. eric234

eric234 Guest

Mar 11, 2005
    philadelphia
    i'm looking for a combo i play a four

11. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The loudest combo around for that price is a used Peavey TNT. 130 watts into a 15. Just make sure and find one with the Black Widow speaker.

I used one of those for my main amp for 12 years or so. Capable of a lot of volume for the size and $$$.

Only two real drawbacks is the fact that it weighs almost 100 lbs, and it takes a lot of work with the EQ to get a decent sound.

12. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    O.k.

Check this out.

Click here.

$200 for a 120w 2x12 combo. Pretty good deal.

Unless you WANT to spend more money?

Are you gigging?

What kind of sound are you looking for?

Your answer is still too general to really narrow things down.

(Whether you like it or not.)

:D

Joe.

13. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Exactly what I was going to say. I used a variation of the TNT amp for a good 7 or 8 years - the combo 300.

14. They're hard to find, but look for a used Peavey Databass combo.

450 watts into a 15 inch Black Widow speaker. Weighs about 90 lbs. Made approximately 1990 to 1992.

I gave $225 for mine. :D

15. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    For maximum volume, you should probably only look at amps with 15" speakers. There is a rule of thumb that speaker efficiency scales with cone area. Also, make sure the amp is designed so that 100% of the rated power goes into the internal speaker.

If you are asking about Loud, it means you will probably push your amp to its limits quite often. In such a case, you should only consider the most reputable brands, and Peavey certainly stands on a strong reputation for reliability.

Now, just for grins, here is my $400 system:

DIY preamp: $100 in parts
    Eminence 15" 300-W driver: $80
    ART SLA-1 power amp: $220
    Scrap plywood for DIY speaker box: Free

Don't try this at home. I am only mentioning it for everybody's general amusement.

16. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    You're going to have to do one of three things:

1. Wait patiently for an amazing deal to come along. (I got a 240W Peavey Mark VI head and Peavey 115 Cabinet loaded with a 400W Electro Voice EVM-15B driver for a grand total of $70)

2. Save up more money. (you can get great amps for a couple hundred bucks more)

3. Be unsatisfied with the $400 you spent on something quickly.

17. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Don't forget about the Yorkville XM200. They're freakin loud for 200 watts, and only weigh about 60 lbs, and can be found new & used for around $400. (carpet covered version, the XM200C)

18. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
  19. gwreid

gwreid

Apr 8, 2005
    Utah
    Forget the combo and find a good Acoustic head. A few hundred bucks and they're built like tanks and sound like a herd of elephants. A 360/370 or even a 220 like mine. Best amp in their day and still great now. Read the reviews on Harmony.