1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Love a Stingray Neck, Hate the tone: help?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tonymcbony, Oct 13, 2013.

1. tonymcbony

tonymcbony

Mar 21, 2006
    Hey folks,

I love the modern Stingray necks. They are absolutely perfect for me, feeling slightly smaller width-wise and deeper than a P bass neck. I find Jazz necks to be just a little too thin.

My issue is that I'm a p bass guy through and through but the stingray neck is just right for me.

I've owned a dual humbucker Ray before, swapped out the preamp for a John East one and a nordstrand humbucker in the bridge, tried flatwounds and at the end of the day I just don't get on with the 'Ray tone.

Any suggestions as to how to get a neck that feels like the 'Ray neck but isn't attached to a Stingray?

2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Unfortunately the number of frets is different (20 on the Fender and 21 on the MM IIRC). So even if it fit the pocket of a Fender, it would not line up correctly for intonation unless you did some serious alterations to one or the other (Fender body or MM neck).

My best guess would be to have one made for you. Perhaps you can even get Warmoth to make one? I don't know all the dimensions so I'm not sure if there is a parts dealer that makes an MM style neck.