For Sale Lowe Custom Guitars 32" Medium Scale Conversion Neck for Bass Guitar - 4 string

Discussion in 'The TB Bazaar: Gear For Sale from our Sponsors' started by BeeTL, Feb 3, 2015.

1. BeeTL

BeeTL Commercial User

Sep 26, 2006
    Oldsmar, FL
    Brad Lowe, Lowe Custom Guitars
    That is so cool...I LOVE how the new neck looks on that body!

Do you mind if I repost those pics elsewhere?

2. maindude

maindude

Mar 25, 2014
    Northern Rockies
    No problem, go ahead and post. I've always kind of wanted a Jag, and thought it would be a good match with one of your necks. It is a great match, it is a tad smaller and lighter than most Precisions and Jazzes and no neck dive at all. The curves of the body and head of the neck kind of match up well.

BeeTL likes this.
  3. BeeTL

BeeTL Commercial User

Sep 26, 2006
    Oldsmar, FL
    As a matter of general interest, I'm making plans to attend Summer NAMM 2019.

This will be the first NAMM event I have attended, so I'm pretty excited about the experience.

4. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's

You should have fun - it will probably be a more pleasant experience than the Winter NAMM that is nearly 10 the size and approaching mayhem levels.

Summer NAMM disappeared for many years as sales dropped off - I am surprised the industry will support it again. Have fun!

BeeTL likes this.
  5. JohnBassman

JohnBassman

Apr 10, 2018
    When do you think you might have more 32" scale necks available?

cheers
    John

BeeTL likes this.
  6. BeeTL

BeeTL Commercial User

Sep 26, 2006
    Oldsmar, FL
    @JohnBassman I currently have several finished necks in stock, but I haven't installed nuts & machines yet.

Were you looking for a 1.5" or a 1.625" nut?

7. JohnBassman

JohnBassman

Apr 10, 2018
    1.625"

BeeTL likes this.
  8. BeeTL

BeeTL Commercial User

Sep 26, 2006
    Oldsmar, FL
    Yes, I currently have one in stock.

Let me know if you're interested, and thanks!

JohnBassman likes this.
  9. jlaudin

jlaudin Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2011
    Omaha, NE
    Before and after, Original Rumblefish 34" Scale, New Rumblefish with High Mass Bridge and Lowe Conversion

neck 1-orig.jpg 2-IMG_0360.jpg

fretno, yodedude2, reddog and 3 others like this.
  10. eude

eude

Apr 13, 2006
    London
    Very nice!
    So these necks fit Reverend basses too?!

Eude

11. BeeTL

BeeTL Commercial User

Sep 26, 2006
    Oldsmar, FL
    Nice work!

I'd love to hear the back story on the work that was required.

I suspect the answer is no, not without modification, but I will defer to others with experience on the topic (@jlaudin).

Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
    eude likes this.
  12. jlaudin

jlaudin Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2011
    Omaha, NE
    The neck pocket fit fine in the old USA Rumblefish, with just a smattering of sanding on the heel curve. I did source threaded inserts to give a nice tight fit. All I did to shape the headstock was to use my grandfathers old coping saw and a file and sandpaper to finish the shaping, pretty old school. It turned out like I wanted although I would like to find GoToh style tuners to match the original Reverend style. All the one's I have on hand are for a smaller hole.
    The great thing about this modification is that it is totally non-destructive and reversible, if I ever want to sell the Rumblefish as original!!!

Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
    eude and BeeTL like this.
  13. BeeTL

BeeTL Commercial User

Sep 26, 2006
    Oldsmar, FL
    Ahhh...the original Reverends used reshaped F-spec necks.

Nice!

eude likes this.
  14. BeeTL

BeeTL Commercial User

Sep 26, 2006
    Oldsmar, FL
    I love seeing photos of these necks after they have been installed.

These two basses by @maindude are the first I've seen posted with the new headstock shape:

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 4, 2019
    fretno, RoadRanger and eude like this.
  15. BeeTL

BeeTL Commercial User

Sep 26, 2006
    Oldsmar, FL
    I have been working on a number of guitar related projects, but not a lot that was build related. That said, I just completed a conversion neck and string-through bridge install on a Lindert replica P body. The history of this bass is documented here.

Geo's bass body weight-reduction program...

This was a fun project to take on, and I had a great time adding my own touch to this collaboration.

You have to love the benefits of standardization. This particular neck already had threaded inserts installed, so I was a little concerned I might need to plug and re-drill the neck mounting holes to get everything to line up. Note the locating pins in the first frame. I needed to widen the pocket about 0.08", but once I did that everything fit together perfectly.

I have installed string-through ferrules in finished bodies more than a dozen times, and it's always a little nerve-wracking. The proof is in the pudding, I guess.

The new bridge was installed using three of the original mounting holes. The rest are covered by the plate and are not visible. If we chose not to add the string-through ferrules, this would have been a 100% reversible modification.

[​IMG]

Here she is, fully assembled.

[​IMG]

fretno, Leo Smith and DDXdesign like this.
  16. fretno

fretno Supporting Member

May 10, 2009
    Los Angeles
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

BeeTL and Leo Smith like this.
  17. mellowgerman

mellowgerman

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Hi @BeeTL, have more necks been in the works? If so, I might be looking to order a 1.625" one soon

BeeTL likes this.
  18. BeeTL

BeeTL Commercial User

Sep 26, 2006
    Oldsmar, FL
    @mellowgerman I have one 1.625" Maple/Rosewood in stock (SN #056) and some roasted Maple/Maple necks in the pipeline.

Thanks!

mellowgerman likes this.
  19. mellowgerman

mellowgerman

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    PM'd!

20. BeeTL

BeeTL Commercial User

Sep 26, 2006
    Oldsmar, FL
    Right back at you!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 1, 2021