Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by dustklose, May 2, 2005.

1. dustklose

Feb 5, 2005
    North Dakota
    hey i want to become a luthier...i've had a passion for guitars for a long u think that this is a career i should pursue?? where are some schools??? what do i all need to know about guitars??? i know some...i love guitars and would like to make them my career!!! input please
  2. try the luither side of talkbass.
    also i doubt anyone can tell you "all you need to know about guitars" slow down and do some reading
  3. Benavente

Aug 14, 2002
    Hope you like to be poor....
  4. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer, Builder

5. Bass_Machine

Oct 29, 2004
    Lol, a massive benavente fan making the owner cry.... the irony :) As far as being a luthier goes, you could always use your skills to get a job at a local shop doing mods/repairs. If you're gonna set up your own brand it's risky but sure as hell worth it if it pays off. Everybody loves a good luthier who gives advice, cause everyone needs advice now and again about stuff like that.
  6. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    There's not much money in the industry. It was figured out that after all expenses, your paycheck ends up being about $6.50 an hour.
  7. I go to a Luthier school in January knowing that I'll be working in a repair shop somewhere and trying to build a great instrument at home for myself and maybe friends. All of this hoping I can pay my bills doing repairs. This is a decision I made about my happiness and not a paycheck. I did the paycheck thing once and I was miserable for several years.
  8. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Amen, I'm planning to attend Roberto Venn or Curbow after college to learn to do this. Remember, it's for the love not the money.
  9. Absolutely! I would have applied to Roberto Venn but I live with my significant other and would need to pay bills in both places! I'm going to the Galloup School as they provide housing for the students. It's not as well known (I guess) but they seem to have a good curriculum (did I spell that right?). Good luck with your endeavors and always follow your heart!
  10. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    m usic is only about money if you are in a wedding/cover band, or someone's sleazy producer. No malice to wedding and cover band players who make a living at it of course.
  11. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Not really the right forum for this one. Not sure where to go with it, so I am sending it where I usually send most everything that doesn't go here...........MISC. :p :)
  12. DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    I think it was Ken Smith who posted on here somewhere that after two decades or so as a luthier, he still drove a Ford.
  13. New ford or old ford? :D I guess it doesn't matter...