1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Lycon question

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by salcott, Aug 16, 2012.

1. salcott

salcott Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    NYC, Inwood.
    I've got a GDA set of NOS Lycons on the way; anybody got a recommendation for an extended E to go with?

2. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    Ah, you bought those strings, eh? ;)

I'd recommend a Spirocore, either Weich or Mittel, depending. They go together well on my basses.

3. salcott

Aug 22, 2007
    NYC, Inwood.
    Yeah, I'm in a mood to experiment, and this keeps the gut Jones at bay as well.

4. salcott

Aug 22, 2007
    NYC, Inwood.
    OK, they're on, with a Spiro Mittel E. First impressions: louder than the Spiro Weichs they replaced, but with less tension. The G is pretty twangy, and I may need a little fingerboard work around Bb, b, C. They're very punchy. They're easier to bow than the Spiros.

5. salcott

Aug 22, 2007
    NYC, Inwood.
    The Lycons are settling in-the G has calmed down considerably. The bass is easily 30% louder with the same effort. I found the remnants of an ancient cake of "Chicago" rosin, medium hardness, which is the softest, stickiest rosin I've ever encountered. It is a perfect match with the Lycons and the Spiro.