Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Nuk3m, Dec 1, 2004.

1. Nuk3m

Sep 18, 2004
    Down Under
    Any expirences on using this for bass cabs and combos?

How does it match up to a DI?

Thank You.
  2. Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    Like all mics, it may sound great on my cab, and not great on yours. However I love the M88. I think it is a great kick mic and in that arena a good bass cab mic. I used one to mic an Eden cab one session and was pleased with the results, though I did combine it with a DI.

I would not really compare any mic with a DI. They are two completely different things. Its like apples and oranges, no, more like forced air heating and a fireplace. They both keep you warm and heat the house, but they go about it in completely different ways. Great analogy huh?

I think that M88's are not the most ruggend mics, at least compared to say an D112. But its never been an issue for me. Can't remember the exact spec but I think the max SPL is lower than the AKG or a D6 or something, I have never had an issue with that either. I think the M88 is a great mic to have around. Great on vocals and brass too. If you can get a good deal on one I would say grab it. Should make a fine bass mic.
  3. I've never used an M88 on a bass cab. I tend to go for either my EV RE20 (especially on UB) or a Sennheiser MD421.

I also like to track both a cab mic and a DI source then you can blend as needed down the road.