1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

M-88

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Nuk3m, Dec 1, 2004.

1. Nuk3m

Nuk3m

Sep 18, 2004
    Down Under
    Any expirences on using this for bass cabs and combos?

How does it match up to a DI?

Thank You.

2. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    Like all mics, it may sound great on my cab, and not great on yours. However I love the M88. I think it is a great kick mic and in that arena a good bass cab mic. I used one to mic an Eden cab one session and was pleased with the results, though I did combine it with a DI.

I would not really compare any mic with a DI. They are two completely different things. Its like apples and oranges, no, more like forced air heating and a fireplace. They both keep you warm and heat the house, but they go about it in completely different ways. Great analogy huh?

I think that M88's are not the most ruggend mics, at least compared to say an D112. But its never been an issue for me. Can't remember the exact spec but I think the max SPL is lower than the AKG or a D6 or something, I have never had an issue with that either. I think the M88 is a great mic to have around. Great on vocals and brass too. If you can get a good deal on one I would say grab it. Should make a fine bass mic.

3. I've never used an M88 on a bass cab. I tend to go for either my EV RE20 (especially on UB) or a Sennheiser MD421.

I also like to track both a cab mic and a DI source then you can blend as needed down the road.