Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mac Recording Software

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by timidbassist, Jan 26, 2005.

1. So i have a Mac G4 just sitting around that i dont use because im not a huge mac fan so i figure it would be perfect to take to my jam lair and use to do some recording. However i dont know what a good recording program would be for Mac, and nor do i know what kind of sound card i should go with. Anyone have any suggestions?
    Thanks in adavance!

2. My not get Apple's own Garageband software? 8 tracks at a time recording, and it's bundled in ILife package with video editing and other cool stuff, so you can make a video while yer at it.

Soundcard? I'd like to know myself...what is currently in there?

3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Ask your question here: www.osxaudio.com better yet, do a search there too. It's been asked a billion times over there, and there are always people there willing to give you a thorough run down of what you'll need. I'd do it myself, but I'm tired.

4. As far as whats in it im not quite sure havent looked in a while. I would have to guess that it has a built in sound card on the motherboard but im not entirely sure ill have to check that out. I will check out that site. Thanks for the info guys.

5. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Digital Performer 4, used motu A/D. Evidently I'm a MOTU fan.

6. I was a huge MOTU fan at one point, but DP 4 was a major let down. They rushed so much to get it released before anyone else had released anything, and because of it it is missing a lot and crashes more than it should. I'm sure DP 4.5 is much better, but at additional charge, I went out and found more powerful software. Opinion of course.

Also, to answer the original question, if you are just looking for something easy and cheap, I like the idea of going with the Garageband setup, that and maybe a MOTU 828 for 8 inputs. Garageband files can now be imported into Logic which will allow you if you get more serious about recording to do much more with those recordings.

7. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I like Tracktion myself. You can find it on the Mackie site, www.mackie.com. They're coming out with a v2 soon, but meanwhile you can still get v1. There is a free demo.

Caveat: I've only used this on a PC, so I have no direct knowledge of how well the Mac version keeps pace. But assuming it's comparable, it's an easy-to-use but pretty powerful program.

I'd recommend that you get some kind of "real" music soundcard, not just a SoundBlaster or whatever. I've lost track of what the various makers are doing, but if you go to Harmony Central's Recording page and poke around the manufacturers, you'll probably find something.

If you find you're interested in Tracktion, Mackie sells it in a package with a hardware interface called Spike:

http://www.mackie.com/products/spike/index.html

Again, I admit to not having used Spike. Just thought I'd pass it on. Apparently you need OSX.

8. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    ???
    I haven't experienced any problems with DP 4 crashing on me, yet (obligatory knock on wood). I have however had problems with my 896 upon occasion. Also noticed that the 896 is more finicky about good quality firewire cables than other A/D's I've used in the past (well, either that or I've suddenly gotten "harder" on my cables).

9. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    easy, inexpensive = Garageband 2
    easy, flexible, not to expensive = Cubase SX
    used the world over = Digital Performer

Without knowledge of system and all that that is what I have to offer. My band get pretty kickass recordings with Garageband and my laptop with Imic and an external mixer for submixing.

We have actually pressed some CD's with that setup. Spend the time to setup properly and you can do anything with decent mics.

10. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    Look into ProTools. It's the industry standard. You can get an MBox for $400, and thats all you need to get going. I've used it for years, great program.