Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MAJOR issue with TI jazz flat E

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Squidfinger, Nov 5, 2004.

1. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    Ugh. I can't believe I'm typing this. I got my new bass today, a Skyline Glaub strung BEAD w/ TI Jazz flats :) :) :) . The B is awesome :cool: . The A is great. The D is great. The E is crap to the point of being unuseable. Insanely zingy and thin with low end comparable to the A :mad: .

Now as some of you might know, I had the same issue with my MIM P. I got my first set of TI Jazz flats issue maybe 6 months. Same exact issue. DUDE is kind of enough to send me a replacement. No change. DUDE is gracious enough to send me another replacement. This string is actually better. The same problems, just to a lesser extent. I figure something is wrong acoustically with my bass (sloppy neck joint).

I love the other strings so much and have become so accustomed to the low tension I without hesitation ordered the Bob Glaub to be strung BEAD confident that it would be OK. I was sorely mistaken :( . I took the better sounding TI Jazz flat E off my MIM P and stick it on the Glaub. A good deal better but not quite there yet. But because the string is not cut to the right length I switched them back.

Has anyone else ever had this problem??????????? I've emailed Thomasik-Infeld. I'll let you guys know what they say.

My new bass is great. I was afraid the B was gonna be muddy but it sounds great! The Fralins sound so much more musical than the pu's in the MIM P. The tone is actually useable with the tone knob pegged either way.

2. bassmatik

bassmatik

Oct 19, 2004
    i have used the thomastiks for some time now and i have never had such a problem. are you definately sure it is a string problem?

3. Squidfinger

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    Yeah, I just put an old Elixir E on there and it kicks major booty. Sounds like an E should. Definitely a string problem.

I'm convinced there's a bad batch of TI's going around.

4. superfly

superfly

Aug 4, 2004
    What gauge is the problem E ? I just emailed DUDE about my E .100 string. The string seems dead with a wobbley tone, won't stay in tune well, and was hard to intonate. I just listed a question about the E string saddle in the "setup" forum. I had to move the E saddle up past the A saddle in order to get it to intonate properly. Maybe there is a bad batch? I was thinking that the low tension of TI's had something to do with the questionable E string?

5. Squidfinger

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    What do you mean by wobbley? My E is just really zingy and thin. I don't have any problems with intonation or keeping tuning. Do you stretch your strings after you put them on?

If the low tension had anything to do with the E sounding horrible the B would sound bad too. But the B sounds great. I think it might be a bad batch.

EDIT: Oh yeah, it's a .100. They only come in one gauge.

6. superfly

superfly

Aug 4, 2004
    By "wobbley", I mean it doesn't keep a consistant tone.

7. speck

speck

Jul 15, 2002
    Sacramento CA, USA
    To get the intonation correct, I had to extend the E saddle to its maximum length. I just thought it had something to do with the low tension of TI flats as well.

[​IMG]

Speck

8. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    I have a set with a dead A string. Bummer when you pay that much for strings.

9. I also had a set with a bad A string. "Dude" replaced it at no charge. I think there were a number of people that got the bad A strings.

10. Sounds to me like there are some QC issues going on at TI.

That's a shame. I hear their strings are awesome.

Perhaps you should send the suspect E string back to TI and let them have a play with it. That way they may be able to get a handle on the exact issues and ultimately solve the problem.

11. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
  12. Squidfinger

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    That's alright Dude. I'm really enjoying my D'addario Chrome flats now. It turns out the TI sound wasn't for me. Thanks again for being so gracious :) .

13. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    No problem! I really don't get too many dead TI's but about 2 months ago I did get a rash of dead A string complaints from customers. Kevin sent me a dozen A string singles and I've got 5 left so as far as my customers go, there were only 7.

14. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    email me and I'll send you one FOC even if you didn't get them from me, as I said above I have 7 A string singles sitting here.

15. Thomguy

Thomguy

Oct 15, 2001
    New York, USA
    OK, I was out for a few days but I'm back now.

Anyone experiencing problems with JF’s or any Thomastik-Infeld string should surely let me know via email or my toll-free number (below). Since I’m going to forward these replacement requests anyway, you can get to the source even quicker by sending emails regarding defects to: michaelh@connollyandco.com or call Mike toll free at 1-800-644-5268 as he is the representative from the US importers office.

As Dude stated, you can also contact him if you need a replacement and I can reimburse him as needed; whatever is most efficient. Please keep any defects you get as these need to be returned to T-I HQ in order to help discover the cause of the defect.

I apologize for any defects purchased and Mike and I will be in touch with the R&D dept. in Vienna right away. I assure you that T-I strings are typically trouble free or at least problems are very infrequent. Aside from standing behind each and every string produced, T-I takes QC issues very seriously and will certainly look into the possibility of poor quality materials, improperly functioning machines, etc. with profound scrutiny.

Best regards,
    Kevin Reynolds
    Nordenholz, Corp
    1-800-272-7170
    kevinr@nordenholz.com