1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Major label and union work

Discussion in 'Ask Justin Meldal-Johnsen' started by bassybass, Sep 21, 2008.

1. bassybass

bassybass Guest

Mar 29, 2008
    Hi Justin,
    I'm curious, being kinda green about how the session world works---when you play a major label type of session and it's a union gig (which I gather it has to be from another thread), aside from whatever the fee/scale that you got for the sessions, do you continue to get any kind of union money for different kinds of airplay/performances of the recordings? I know about the BMI/ASCAP angle if you're also a writer, but I'm just talking about where you're a "sideman". Are there potential continuing residuals from the afm for recordings as they spin on the radio, placed in TV, etc.? Thanks!

2. jmjbassplayer

jmjbassplayer Justin Meldal-Johnsen Gold Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2005
    There is something called the "Phonograph Musicians Special Payments Fund". It is a check that comes once a year, in august, and it's a fund that record companies pay into. The Fund administrators tally up all your Union sessions for the prior year, and give you a share of the money that they've collected. Those checks can be very significant, as can the one that comes every year from a different fund strictly for film music.

Let me tell you that it is really a good thing. I was ambivalent about my Union membership until I started seeing those checks every year. It's a nice surprise, and very worth it.

Best,
    JMJ

3. bassybass

bassybass Guest

Mar 29, 2008
    Very interesting--thanks!

4. jmjbassplayer

jmjbassplayer Justin Meldal-Johnsen Gold Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2005