Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Making a flight case.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by popinfresh, Jun 7, 2005.

1. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    So, I searched around, and only found 1 or two threads. Not the specific info i'm after though.

So here goes: I'm going to put the Trace Elliot V8 into a flight case. I want one where I can pull off the top, and the amp can sit in the base of the case.

Before you try and stop me ;) some info would be handy, getting a case made over here will cost me at least $350 so i'm willing to spend some money to make my own. I also have the school holidays coming up (2 weeks, we're in winter here ;)) so I have some time too.
    If I need help with any technical info/help (which I shouldn't, as it's a simple case design really) I live next to two engineers. A design and mechanical.

So really, my questions are. How should I go about making a rack of that design? Would 3/4" Ply be thick enough? Could it be 1/2" ply and use the stuff that Mesa Road Ready cabs have on the outside (can't think of it..). What should I put in the inside to cusion the amp? Where can I get things like the clips/locks?

Any other info would be handy.

Thanks!

2. Basicly, you are just after a Plywood box with aluminium edges and some handles- it shouldn't be all that hard...

Me, I would use 1/2" (12mm) good, but not great grade Plywood for the box, with some internal bracing for extra strength when the box is in the back of the gig truck getting **** tossed on top of it. Maybe make the braces of hardwood, say 18mm thick, accross the top and bottem middle of the case.

You really want the top 3/4 of the box to come off? I think using high grade latches as opposed to hinges would be the go. Around the edges you'll want alumnium angle or something, with be steel cabinet type corners... Inside, dence foam on the bottem- with softer foam on the Sides, Front / Back and Top of the case- That way you'll be able to leave the amp in it while using it with out fear of it sinking, but the softer foam on the top/sides etc... will stop the amp from moving around on the road.

Hehehe I'm not much of a help- sorry :p