1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Making a list, checking it twice...

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Smallmouth_Bass, Jul 19, 2007.

1. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    Just curious, how many of you have a "gig packing list" to ensure you do not forget anything for a show?

I made one to get ready for a show tomorrow evening and sure enough, as I went through my list, I would have forgotten a few things.

If you do have a list, what do you put on it?

2. bass(s)
    amp
    three long cables (bass->effects->amp + extra)
    tuner
    effects
    strap(s)
    extra batteries
    screwdriver
    duct tape
    waterbottle

3. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    My list also includes:

9V battery
    Bass stand
    Setlist

4. I knew I forgot something - the bass stand. Has killed me more than once when I on break I gotta put my bass all the way back in the case...:meh:

5. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize!

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    No list. My gig stuff lives in my gig bag and gig knapsack. All I need to remember is the big stuff.

It does mean I quite often forget my music stand for practices with the one band since I almost never use it. I may just get a cheapy to leave there.

6. Loempiaketzer

Loempiaketzer

Dec 2, 2006
    yeah... ducktape ftw.

It can save lifes! really it can

7. i dont need to pack anything, because it all stays in a case. though i do open it up just before leaving and make sure everything is in there just to be sure.
    it stays packed up between rehearsals and gigs.
    i think thats a better way of doing it than having a list. but a list is a better idea than trying to remember everything hahar.

8. louieeadg

louieeadg uncle petey?

Jun 13, 2007
    outer banks, nc
    Haha...we have an uptight drummer so we show up 5 days ahead of time everywhere we go. And with what is seemingly all of everyone's stuff...funny guy...So no, no list.

9. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    ...nowadays we carry a PA (speakers, subs, monitors, three pairs of cables, a mixer, a rack case with two power amps, a rackmount power strip and a crossover, two guitar amp mics, two vocal mics, stands and cables), a lighting system (two racks on stands with PAR 64 cans), and various electrical cords and strips; the singer has two guitars and stands and an amp and its stand; the drummer and his drum kit, the lead player's guitar and amp and stand, and at least one bass and stand and my amp and ITS stand....

We bought a trailer, and it gets packed the afternoon of the gig. All the stuff (other than individual instruments and amps) lives in our rehearsal space, so there's no scrounging.

I carry a bass with a tuner in the case, a Fender bag with cords, a 25' electric extension (amazing how many gigs it gets used on), an amp stand, the amp, a bass stand, sometimes a two-step ladder when the stage is very high (I'm an old guy) and a furniture-mover type thing I got from Carvin that's about 2' x 1-1/2' that I roll everything back and forth on.

How do we remember? Years of experience.

You know what they say about experience? It's the good judgment you develop from bad judgment.:p

Luckily, with this band, the biggest thing we've ever left behind (knock on wood) was the lead player's stand, and someone was able to bring it before the set started.

10. Ed Goode

Ed Goode Jersey to Georgia Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    My heavy stuff (cabs, head, etc), pedal board and gig bag all stay in the car all of the time, so as long as I have my car there's nothing to be concerned with there. The only things I need to remember are the basses, and to be sure I have copies of the set lists for the band (I lay out all the sets and do all the arrangements) ..... ;)

I do have to make a list to replace expendable stuff, like batteries & duct tape when they run low. Luckily my wife knows that I'm basically stupid, so she always reminds me to double check stuff before I leave the house ..... :cool:

11. my "gig bag" includes deodorant/anti-perspirant, mouthwash, a sweat towel and 2 extra t-shirts. I always put on a clean, dry shirt after load-in/soundcheck before we hit the stage. Then I always put on a clean, dry shirt after load out for the drive home. I've been known to pack clean, dry underwear too, depending on drive time/distance.

12. Don't forget spare strings!

13. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    Clean underwear. That's not one I would have thought of!

14. louieeadg

louieeadg uncle petey?

Jun 13, 2007
    outer banks, nc
    What if you don't wear underwear?

15. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize!

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    One less thing to pack! Bonus!

16. It's nice if you sweat allot during a gig - and I do. I hate the feeling of sweaty underwear on a long drive home. Go to the john, dry off with a towel, put on fresh deodorant, change underwear and t-shirt, drive home in relative comfort...

17. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    Oh, I was thinking of a backup for an incident (see fart during shows thread)!

18. :help:

No, but that would be a nice added bonus, just in case

19. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

+1

I keep everything small in a laptop case. It always includes:

2 x 9v batteries
    2 or 3 long cables
    5 or 6 small cables (for between effects)
    3 speaker cables
    25" microphone cable
    microphone
    tuner
    effects/power supplies
    strap
    soldering gun
    screwdriver
    duct tape
    extra strings
    wire cutters
    set list and any cheat sheets/notes for the gig
    small towel (for me if it is hot)
    microfibre cloth for my bass necks (I usually forget this one though)

Big stuff:

2 basses (I only play one during a gig, but you have to be prepared if there is an electrical issue or something serious with the main bass).
    guitar stand (holds 2 basses)
    amp
    speakers
    mic stand

Taylor acoustic guitar (I play acoustic 6 string for 1 song)

20. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    That looks like a good list.