1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Making a neck look worn.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by BellBottomBlues, Aug 7, 2007.

1. BellBottomBlues

BellBottomBlues

Feb 21, 2007
    New York
    Endorser:Fender User:Rotosound, LaBella, Ashdown, Lindy Fralin
    Hey all, just got a 62 P RI neck.

I was gonna stick it on an old Fender clone body (alder, sunburst, tort guard, fralins, vintage wiring, old fender bridge) and make myself a fender copy. I slapped the neck on, good fit, and played and it sounds really nice. Unfortunately the neck sticks out like a sore thumb.

So I decided to relic it and I'm putting on RSG guitarworks string tree and tuners to nail the vintage vibe, however the neck looks bright and shiny and all new and stuff.

So I wanna dull that gloss nitro neck finish and make the back of the neck look worn in. Sorry for the crappy pic, but this is what I'm going for [​IMG]

Any advice on how to do this? I looked in IbanezCollector's PDF but it no longer works.

2. BellBottomBlues

BellBottomBlues

Feb 21, 2007
    New York
    bump...

I know I've got to sand it down, but I dunno how much to take off and if i should seal it or whatever etc...

3. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    I just did a little relic'ing on my Hwy. 1 Jazz neck the other day after seeing the naturally relic'd neck on one of ibanezcollectors threads.

I sanded in a pattern where natural wear would occur (nothing to the extent of the picture above)....basically I sanded a little, then I'd put a little stain on, sand a little more and repeat the process til the stain started to take to the wood.

I can try to take some pictures, it's very easy it just takes a little time and patience to not go overboard with it and make it look natural.

**note that my neck is not nitro. I do own a 62RI jazz with a nitro neck and I think it may be a bit more to it than what I did, or maybe not.

4. BellBottomBlues

BellBottomBlues

Feb 21, 2007
    New York
    Yeah, the nitro neck is what I'm worrying about.

5. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    I saned down a neck with a paint remover cloth. Looks like a washing up scourer. I then used a furniture scratch remover polish. It was nitro based. I just smeared that on and let it cure or whatever it does.

I didnt do it to relic it but out it does look that way IMHO

If this works you can see the effect. I havent been around for a while so the upload thing is new.

If you have a look at nash guitars they do relic stuff so you might get some ideas.

Personally I'd give it a light sanding...

attachment.

Attached Files:

• gear.
      gear.jpg
      File size:
      26.6 KB
      Views:
  6. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Here's the Nash link BTW I dont work for nash own a nash etc.

http://www.nashguitars.com/gallery/index.html

If you look at the S and T gallery they have pics of the back of the necks. You might want to simulate playing whilst holding the abrasive material see where the marks are and then sand that area.

7. play it for 5 hours a day every day for 4 years, you should get a nice worn out neck

8. BellBottomBlues

BellBottomBlues

Feb 21, 2007
    New York
    I gig a lot (3-5 nights a week plus practices) and I usually use my 58 as my main and my 57RI as back up.

I got an old beat up P-Style body and old looking parts. When I slap the new and shiny neck on it it just doesn't look right. I don't feel like having it stick out like a thumb for 4 years to be happy with it.