Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Making it big!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Aqueousillusion, Feb 17, 2005.

1. Aqueousillusion

Aqueousillusion

Feb 8, 2005
    I wanna know how many people out there are playing the bass trying to "make it big" and what you want to have accomplished if you do.

Is it such a big dream to you that you are like others that are 40 years old ignoring your children for it, or is it just somewhere in the back of your head, that could possible happen?

2. I speak only for myself, but I no longer seriously entertain the illusion. I'm not saying that others shouldn't try....they may be in a better position to push it as hard as they can, but I cannot.

With two children in under 3 years, my multiple night practices are done for a while. What time I have whne I'm not working is with my family...and maybe one night a month playing with a group. Added to that is my own stubborness. A major component of that dream, for me, was doing it with the right people as a band. I've got old friends in a neighboring town with an open door for me whenever my time is available (the singer currently plays bass...but offered to step down at anytime for me). I'd rather spend the rest of my life writing the kind of music I want than go look for a band that's on the fast track and make a concession. Please don't read me wrong, I don't look down on others for doing what needs to be done, but my vision always included those guys (they haven't stopped playing).

Mike

3. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Depends on what you mean by "making it big", I'm probably the only one who would need a specific definition for this, but for me, 'making it big' is touring with a group of friends, meeting great people and making music that I'm happy and proud of. If, you mean, as I think you do, of making a decent career out of it, then no. I love playing bass and making music, but there are many other things in my life that I want to do, and that seem like they be more relevant to what I want to do in the future.

4. For a long time I did want to be a "Rockstar." Did the one or two week "mini-tours," but always stayed a local band :p . I've seen and known guys that had been doing the local "Rockstar" thing for 20+ years. One guy was so pathetic he thought the world 'owed' him to be a Rockstar. At 39 in a band that drew flies. :scowl: Now I don't think I'd really want to do it if for some weird reason everybody and their mom thought my band was kickass. I'm just too old and settled in, besides, that's an awful lot like work.

:D

Even if I got to be a bass player for an established big name band with private jets and big ol' tour busses- there'd have to be major incentive- and a time limit. How's that for lame? :D

5. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    There was a time when I was commited to "making it big" (as in recording contracts, touring, etc.). All I did was eat, sleep and live to play music...living out of a bus with my bandmates and travelling the country. I did that for about ten years.

I did a lot of travelling and recording, but nothing even coming close to making it big. Over time one realizes that there are more important things in life (depending on where you are at a particular point in your life).

Now I'm 44 years old, with a wife and three kids, with another due in May. I've got a full time job, and now I'm in a band that plays out once a month and we rehearse once a week for a couple of hours.

Family is priority number one. If anything came along that was "big time" and the money was right and I could take my family with me on tour, I might consider it. But that is highly unlikely...or at least as likely as it was when it was my "dream"...which is to say, "Ain't gonna happen!"

Anyone who ignores their children for the sake of their dream, has no business having children in the first place.

6. Amen.

7. Jaye

Jaye

Jan 30, 2004
    Portland, OR
    To me making it big isn't the goal, getting a level where I can support a family without working a day job is the goal. If I can reach that point I will be a happy person, wether it happens with my band (which I sincerly think it will) or with a coverband or doing musicals or whatever the road brings me, as long as my income is bass playing I will feel I have "made it".

8. My wife is 11 weeks pregnant and I know I'm in for some big changes. I'm 30, and this will be my 1st child. I've only been playing bass for less than 2 years, but I practice daily (2 nights a week with the band and the other nights at the house). We only gig out occasionally (probably once every 6 weeks). Family will be my number one priority, but my wife knows that I love playing and is willing to let me practice 2 days a week with the band even after our child is born, unless she has "a change of heart." At this point, our band would really have to make it big before I could consider leaving my job and going on the road. But if it happened and the money was there, I'm sure my wife would support me.

Make sure the family is taken care of!!!

9. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    My wife is very supportive of my playing music as well. In fact while we were still dating I was considering "retiring" from music permanently. But she told me that music was a part of me and if I quit playing she'd kick my ass. Now that's love! :D

Once the baby is born, you can forget about practicing for a little while, either out of necessity or a lack of energy. :)

10. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I don't want to make it big. Maybe medium. Making it medium seems like a good idea.

11. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    good one!

At eighteen I wanted SUPER-SIZE!!!
    At twenty I wanted BIG!!
    At thirty I wanted Medium.
    Now at 40, I just want small, to go.