Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Making Necks?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Tomass, Jan 22, 2006.

1. Tomass

Tomass

Nov 1, 2005
    How excactly would you make a neck for a bass or any guitar, like the truss rod would be really hard to install and making the frets as well. Or do most people buy premade necks?

2. you need to take some wood and cut it and clamp and glue it and channel it and clamp and glue some more, and shape it and sand it and finish it, and VOILA! NECK!

or...you could take the easy way out and buy one pre-made...
    it's the choice of many a first-timer as that way you can learn construction without going through the initial "destruction" :D

3. I have just finished my first neck. a thru neck cos I couldn't be bothered with all that neck pocket rubbish.

It's a lot easeir than I thought it would be.... BUT!!!!

Cut the truss rod slot before you shape the neck. It's a lot easier to route a straight line when you have a straight edge to work from.........

4. Tomass

Tomass

Nov 1, 2005
    thanks for the info, guys. Also Pilabara do you know any suppliers seeing as your also Australian for wood, espically exotic woods or even just oridnary wood.

5. I've had a hard time nailing that one down...I haven't really done any building since being in Australia (going on 5 years).

I found a couple of small local places and am currently looking at getting using "noxious weeds" like camphor laurel and the such...it's cheap because Australia wants it erradicated, yet it is some beautiful wood and would at least make impressive tops if not impressive bodies.

I'm also looking into getting some maple from my dad in Pennsylvania, who just had a couple of trees cut down on his property (good for necks, I hope, after a couple of years)