1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Making Noise without a Bass - Post your random noise adventures.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Tim_Mofunk, Aug 18, 2012.

1. Hi All,

Something I have done a few times. I am even guilty of doing this at gigs a couple of times...

Pulling out the jack and making noise by tapping the tip of my lead with my thumb. :bassist:

Sometimes this sounds awesome through a couple of pedals. Generally best to do this along with an epic drum solo IME.

Anyways here is something I was doing today.

[​IMG]

Thumb on Lead > Grey Stache > PitchFactor > Octavius Squeezer > Wonderlove (Aux from OS > IN, Out from OS to Return) > DD6

And this is what it sounded like... (forgive the length of the clip, this sort of thing can make me enjoy things others might not be enjoying :rolleyes:)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2014
  2. TomA1234

TomA1234

Jul 27, 2009
    Fareham, England
    That sounded pretty awesome, I will have to see what I can come up with. :D

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2014
  3. TheBassBoss

TheBassBoss

Feb 17, 2012
    Tennessee
    I wanna try this, but would it damage the cable or amp at all to touch the open end with your thumb? Whenever I've done it there's just a bunch of feedback.

4. JoZac21

JoZac21

Nov 30, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    You can. for very little money, buy a reverb tank for a guitar amp... if you plug one into some effects and into your amp, and strum the springs as if they were strings, you can make some really awesome/interesting sounds.

5. twhitedc

twhitedc Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2011
    NJ
    I recently bought a gristleizer from the classifieds, one of it's recommended uses in the manufacturer's demo was tapping the input jack. It's a pretty fun toy.
    I also enjoy Theremin -> Delay

6. Oh pitchfactor, you so crazy. Used to have one, then I realized 99% of its functionality was lost on me.

7. That's great! Good job man.

8. Cheers. I saw Robert Sledge do a 'jack solo' at a BFF gig back in 97. Ever since then I've loved testing what sounds you can get from your jack.

Another tried and tested favorite is a cranked fuzz through a wah.