1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

making piezo transducer

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by VaantCustom, Apr 4, 2006.

1. VaantCustom

VaantCustom

Feb 5, 2006
    Canada
    Hi!
    I had side lined one of my wackier bass projects for awhile for an actual :) :) paying customer!:) :) That bass will be done in a couple more weekends and I'll post some pics.

Now that I pull out the other guitar again with a fresh head, I would like to do some things differently. Instead of having a custom pu made, (9 strings) I'de like to make a bridge, with 1 intonated saddle, and an under saddle piezo transducer w/ a good preamp.

I checked out a lot of pages online on this, but most of the applications are for cellos and acoustic guitars. I was planning on doing it like this: http://www.liutaiomottola.com/PrevPubs/Piezo/CoaxTransducer.htm ,but does anyone have any experience making piezo pu's for electric basses, and have any useful advice to share? This could be a really interesting thread.

Thanx!

2. metalbass.com

metalbass.com

Mar 20, 2006
    Do a Search on Piezo in the Pickups & Electronics
    Forums and you will find numerous threads on the
    topic.

3. VaantCustom

VaantCustom

Feb 5, 2006
    Canada
    Thanks I'll try that. But if anyone has anything new, please post.

4. BeauLeopard

BeauLeopard BLDesign Custom Basses

Apr 14, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    There's a book called "Getting A Bigger Sound" by Bart Hopkin. It's about all types of pickups but there's some fairly good info on piezo construction.