1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Manring transcriptions

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by jzucker, Mar 30, 2006.

1. jzucker

jzucker

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Are any available?

2. why even try, man? espcially with someone as unique and original as manring? listening is enough; i think if i saw manring's transcriptions written out, i'd scare me.:bag:

3. jzucker

jzucker

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Why even try Bird, Trane, Holdsworth, Hedges? :D

4. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    There was a transcription book of Thonk - I'm not sure if it's still in print, but I'm sure you'll find a blood-and-tears stained copy on Ebay sometime. ;)

steve
    www.stevelawson.net

5. IanStephenson

IanStephenson UnRegistered User

Apr 8, 2006
    Well my tab for "when last we spoke" is in the TB Tab Archive :)
    I wrote it a lifetime ago, and I'm sure it's full of mistakes. The worst thing is I could almost play it then, and I can almost play it now - I really need to practise more.

The Thonk book is excellent as a study guide to the album itself, but less usefull in terms of actually playing the music yourself, as its all either a) impossibly difficult, b) doesn't fit on a standard bass, c) both!

Ian

6. Michael Manring

Michael Manring TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Yeah, I doubt many folks have used that Thonk transcription book to practice their sight-reading! Nevertheless, there are a few tunes in it that are meant to be played on a standard four-string, if you don’t mind changing the tuning or using an Ebow sometimes.