Maple P Bass???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pil, Jun 17, 2005.

1. pil

Feb 17, 2005
    Pimlico, UK
    Are there any mexican (or just cheap!) precisions that have been made with maple fretboards?? I want a p, and i want maple and theres no way i'd pay for an american (the mexicans ive tried sounded as good - with some exceptions)...but i cant seem to find one!

Everything i find is telling me no...but i thought i'd ask as you lot are good at this type of thing :help:

2. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    The cheapest Fender p-bass you can get with a maple neck is one made in Japan. MIM basses do not come with maple necks.
  3. eldave777

May 24, 2005
    Yes, you can get a maple neck MIM or MIJ p bass. The reissue stuff is your best bet so get a made in Japan model.
  4. pil

Feb 17, 2005
    Pimlico, UK
    thanks for the quick reply - i thought a japanese would be the most likely but the only ones ive seen with maple necks are the old style (sting type)...and that doesn't really do it for me - sounded good, i just dont like the looks. Then again maybe it's just living in england...we do tend to miss out on the niceities in life :crying:
  5. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I just looked at fender's website and you a correct sir, you can get the p-bass special with a maple neck though I've never seen on in picture or in person. I stand corrected. :cool:
  6. Yeah, Japan is your best bet. Your second option is to buy a MIM and then just buy a new neck for it, although that would probably end up costing just as much as a new MIA Fender. Third option is to try e-bay, you might find a. an MIM with a new neck or b. a used MIA with a maple neck.
  7. Kenbuntu

Jun 6, 2005
    guys i have a pbass wiht a maple neck, which is made in indonesia, but i live in canada....damn i need to sell it fast
  8. Secondhandloser

Mar 28, 2005
    I don't get why we bassists have to buy American series (or the Pbass special or Geddy Lee) to get a maple fretboard, when guitarists have the choice even on Squires... ????
  9. Cerpin Taxt

Cerpin Taxt

Jun 12, 2005
    The Marcus Miller has a maple neck - its MIJ and sounds great for $700.
  10. Your not getting a Marcus Milller for 700$. Are you?
  11. Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Hi - Since I'm both new to this thread and new to playing bass, what is the benefit of using a maple fretboard? I am a guitar player, and for my strats, I always prefer maple over rosewood or ebony, but I'm not really sure why - I think they sound clearer and a little brighter, even though to me, they aren't quite as soft and comfortable. I have always wondered because I would think it is more supply & labor intensive to add on the extra wood for the rosewood or ebony, but I see that maple fretboards are at least as expensive.

Is this the same with bass guitars?
  12. Chiba

Mar 11, 2005
    MIM - Steve Harris sig P-bass - out of production but had a maple fingerboard.

Skel - you pretty much hit it. It's largely personal preference, but maple and ebony have a bit sharper attack than rosewood. Maple fingerboards usually have a hard finish coat of lacquer on them as well, which certainly changes the feel over ebony (very dense & hard, with super-tight grain) or rosewood (not soft, but not as hard as ebony, with a wider grain). All Fenders that I know of with maple boards have a finish coat on them (I'm sure the Custom Shop would make an exception though).

I greatly prefer maple fingerboards on my guitars & basses, with ebony as my 2nd choice. I used to be a strict rosewood-only guy, but a weird Les Paul - with a maple fingerboard! - converted me to the joys of maple...and I've never looked back :)

13. check ebay. They had a passive pbass special (p + j pups) maple neck that went for $350 us or something like that. MIM maple fretboard basses are out there, just have to keep an eye out. I have even seen some stock Fender MIM jazz with maple necks. Good luck.
  14. Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Chiba - I was going to say something about some guitars like Les Pauls and Ricks, that are never available with a maple fretboard. Wow - a Les Paul with a maple for me. I wonder if one could really tell the difference in tone between maple and non-maple on record, or if it is more of a feel thing.

15. Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Oh, I also notice they are called "fretboards", "fingerboards", and Geddie calls his a "blonde neck". Nobody really knows what they are even called! I think "fingerboard" is the most correct.

16. flak44

Nov 4, 2004
    Kent, UK
    if it were me and will be in a coupe of months i would buy a MIM precision take the neck of and sell it on ebay. Whatever it goes for should be enough for a cheap maple neck
  17. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Yep. Applies to both fretless and fretteds.
  18. Subculture13

Subculture13 Jamming Econo

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    Gibson has the Zakk Wylde sig model which feautres a maple neck on a guitar. I notice the difference, but I'm tuned in to that, I loathe all things rosewood, its like a phobia.
  19. I wouldnt go cheap but you dont need to spend alot of cash.