1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Marcus Miller Jazz Vs. Stingray

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by xArcticMonkeyx, Mar 4, 2008.

1. xArcticMonkeyx

xArcticMonkeyx

Feb 24, 2008
    So I think I've finally narrowed my search down to two options. The MM Jazz or the MusicMan Stingray. I have played both of them, and loved both of them, and I know they are both very different basses. I love the snappy sound of the MM Jazz, and I also loved the deep tones you can get out of the Stingray. I really want the instrument with the best versatility, so please give me your opinion with that in mind =P

Also, I know there is a large price gap between the two (and I am talking about the Marcus Miller four string) and I would def. like to save some money if I can. But I also want the bass that will give me what I want.

Thanks in advance! And feel free to offer some other opinion/comments. :hyper:

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Having owned them both... I've had the Miller for about three years, and the Stingray for three years prior to that. They're both wonderful instruments, but when I decided to become a one-bass man, it was the Miller for me, for sure. The only thing I wish it had is a passive treble rolloff.

3. marcus miller all the way

4. garth elson

garth elson

Aug 23, 2005
    Los Angeles
    I'm a ardent supporter of the Stingray. Amazing quality, great customer support, built like an absolute rock, VERY comfortable on a strap, etc etc. For me, they're the best.

But if you're looking for a versatile bass, go for the Miller. The stingray does fill in very well in most niches if you learn how to use the onboard EQ in conjunction with your amp, but it will (imho) always sound "like a stingray". The miller is a well-built standard.

5. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    I have owned both, but in the 5er, and I actually returned the Marcus Miller because I got more versatility out of my Stingray double humbucker. The Miller had a very dark sound and I hated how the active electronics was either on or off, no in between. I think that the Miller 4 banger has a brighter tone, as I tried it in the store. The HH version of the Stingray gives me more tones than the single H, so make sure that you specify. Good luck!

John

6. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

Stingray, Higher quality instrument for the $$. I Love the look of the Marcus though.

7. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    I know! I fell in love with the vintage look of the Marcus, but never loved the sound I got.:meh:

8. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel
    I was wondering, is the whole area under the control plate of the Fender MM routed or can it be easily converted back to a regular control plate?

9. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Very much routed out... preamp under the control plate, and battery under the square plate. No chance in going back.

10. Neighbor's got the MM, and I can't tell you how often I've considered breaking in to his house and stealing it... Of course, he's probably figure it out, since I don't have one...

I like Stingrays, even Bongos, for their sound, but versatility and playability?

Marcus Miller Jazz every time, IMO.

11. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    I have both and they are definitely two different instruments. From a quality standpoint, the Stingray is one of the best built instruments you can buy for under $2500. The Stingray does one thing, but it does it really well. For versatility, the jazz can't be beat. The marcus miller is an excellent bass and the quality and sound are great. I have a Sadowsky and yes, I would leave the Sadowsky home and just take the Marcus. Great sounding bass. I bought mine with the idea of making pickup and preamp changes, but I really like it the way it is... Great bass...especially for the money$$

12. Mike Shevlin

Mike Shevlin

Feb 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    Marcus, Higher quality instrument for the $$. I Love the look of the Stingray though.

13. My vote's for the Marcus Miller. I love mine

14. mwhite89

mwhite89

Apr 3, 2005
    Gore, Oklahoma
    Hi,
    I own a Marcus Miller with J-Retro preamp. I assure you, this setup gives you all the versitility you would ever need. :bassist:

Maurice

15. Evolver

Evolver

Feb 13, 2007
    North Central PA
    Hmmm... I experienced the same situation. Bought a 30th Ann. Stingray AND a 4-string MM. I've gigged 'em both and quite like them both. The 30th is very well-made instrument and almost too nice to take out. Tones are quite different in my opinion but either instrument can cover alot of sonic territory. If I had to choose again, I buy them both again if that was at all possible.

16. selks

selks

Jul 28, 2006
    I'd say the MM is the one if you want to own one instrument. I just find it more versatile than the MusicMan.

17. what about a MusicMan HH? ....

the plot thickens...;)

18. tank4checo

tank4checo

Feb 14, 2008
    new mexico
    have you tried the new american standard jazz basses? i think the MM jazz is more versitle since the active/passive switch and two pickups.

19. Asbjørn Hansen

Asbjørn Hansen

Jan 14, 2008
    Denmark
    Havn't had the chance to try the Sting Ray, but my Miller Jazz is just awesome. Love the way I im allowed to control the sound form the nobs, so I dont have to swith my amp all the time. From muddy tones to the sharpest is just awesome. Plus, plug some effekts to it and u ready to make some wicked bass lines.

20. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    +1