Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

marcus miller pickguard question.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fenderbluesdude, Dec 10, 2004.

1. if i were to take off the pickguard of a marcus miller bass would you see the wires??? just the top pickguard part not the control cavity part?????

2. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    no,I've seen this done with this bass,and I thought it was pretty hip

3. It would be even more hip if the lower part could be removed :meh: It's UGLY
    However when Marcus plays his, I don't even notice it..

4. Is'nt the Marcus Miller bass a Mex?
    I have a Mex standard Jazz-mid to late 90s(probably around the same age as yours)and the control cavity is open under the pickguard.Cant say for sure,but my guess would be they would be the same...Only one way to find out for sure...pop that thing open.

5. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    The Marcus Miller Jazz is Made in Japan. Since it is a copy of Marcus Miller's actual 1973 (I think) modded Jazz Bass, and they had through body-routing for the neck pickup then, I'd guess that you'd see no wiring.

6. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Yeah, I think you're right. I knew it was a 70s.

7. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    the 4 string version is made in Japan,however the 5 string version of his bass is made in the U.S. as all the Artist series basses.

8. JOHNNY LONG

JOHNNY LONG

Aug 25, 2003
    RICHMOND,VA
    I NEED THE TOP AND BOTTOM PICKGUARD SECTION
    I WISH I HAD IT IN A DIFFERENT COLOR
    LIKE BROWN OR MOTO OR ALL NATURAL,NOW THAT WOULD BE VERY COOL

9. Ziltoid

Ziltoid I don't play bass Supporting Member

Apr 10, 2009
    Canada
    [​IMG]

10. mjolnir

mjolnir Thor's Hammer 2.1.3beta Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2006
    Houston, TX
    You can order the bottom section from guitarpartsresource.com, though they only have the direct black replacement. I got a chrome bottom section and battery cover made by sharp concepts that I think is pretty nifty, and I believe the top section is just a 70's jazz pickguard with the 10+1 screw holes, and uh... minus the thumbrest holes.

There's a web site out there somewhere, I forget the name, that does replacements for both sections in just about any design you want, from pearloid to tort to green to abalone to whatever.

11. JOHNNY LONG

JOHNNY LONG

Aug 25, 2003
    RICHMOND,VA
    WOOOOOW
    thanks you ,people who take the time to correct as you did,must be playing a lot of gigs huh!

12. mjolnir

mjolnir Thor's Hammer 2.1.3beta Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2006
    Houston, TX
  13. JOHNNY LONG

JOHNNY LONG

Aug 25, 2003
    RICHMOND,VA
    thank u so much