1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mark Sandmans 2string bass, What gauge?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by machoufski, Nov 30, 2006.

1. machoufski

machoufski

Sep 9, 2005
    Hi,

I'm a big fan of Morphine and Mark Sandman. So i made myself a 2-string bass. :)

Who knows what string gauge he used on his bass?
    I looked on the net and the only info i find is that people think he removed the E and G strings, and thus played on the A and D strings.

but by listening to his music i found that much of his songs are in D. so i think that he removed the E and A strings and thus played on the D and G strings (tuned a perfect fifth D - A).
    so i tried that and this works better with the slide (now i can make more use of open strings, so its way easier to play his songs). but it sounds way to high. My guess is that he used some stompbox to get the sound 1 octave lower.

Does anyone has an idea if he used some stompbox?

Its a pity there are no video's of his shows.
    I saw him once (but i played guitar at the time, so i didnt pay attention to his gear). He defenitly made me appreciate the lower regions of music. :bassist:

BTW

here are some pics of the converted precision. (its a cheapass bass, at least that is in common with Mark's bass) sorry for the poor quality of the pics

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    i think it would make more sense if he tuned a E and A string set down to a D and A, rather than using the D an G strings and a octaver pedal to get the pitch down.

EDIT: also, youre setting yourself up by getting yourself used to a weird bass; the strings actually look like they widen towards the nut (cos youre still using a 4 string bridge)

3. machoufski

machoufski

Sep 9, 2005
    yes, maybe you're right i'm gonna try that tonight. but maybe the E-string is to thick and is going to get to floppy to use with a slide. i'll give it a go (why couldn't i figure this out? :) )

i've cut the nut so that the string spacing remains the same. works well with a slide. (it's an optical illusion that they widen towards the nut)
    i think mark sandman did the same.

[​IMG]

4. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    yes, you probably are right about the optical illusion.

i havent seen sandman play before, so perhaps im approaching this from a different angle. best of luck in your weird project.

5. machoufski

machoufski

Sep 9, 2005
    thx

i've just tried the E-string tuned to D. but it doesn't work. it's to floppy for a slide. and sounds to low compared to the stuf he plays.

i read some more about Mark sand he considers himself a baritone player. so maybe it is the D and G string he plays. i tried that again and it sounds closer to the sandman sound than the E and A- strings.

(but i prefer the slide sound on A and D strings. :smug: )

6. KikkyMonk

KikkyMonk

Jul 1, 2007
    I heard that he would tune between every song, meaning, some songs he tuned in 4th or 5th or whatnot. I heard he would tune perfectly everytime and do it in a fraction of a second.

Dave

7. danger

danger

Apr 19, 2005
    There are a couple of videos of him playing out there.

I built my 2-string using the A and D strings, and tuned the A down to a G. That seemed to do it, and it meant I was playing the same positions as the video of him performing 'Cure for Pain'.