1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Markbass rig is complete

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by GassieBall, Aug 21, 2007.

1. GassieBall

GassieBall

Oct 15, 2006
    I'm very happy with this rig. It really cuts through and has bottom. I've said before that I don't think it has the hi-fi qualities that my Epifani's have, but when it comes to tone when sitting in the mix and battling a Marshall stack, this is the baby I turn to.

[​IMG]

2. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY
    Do you think you could post a clip of the bongo through that rig? I've been thinking of going with something similar.

3. CapeBass

CapeBass Guest

Nice! I wish someone around here sold them..

4. You sir, have an incredible set up. I'd love to be on a gig/rehearsal and look behind and see that stack. I plan on buying that head as soon as I sell my current rig. I play a SUB Sterling as well. How do you think it sounds when used with that rig?

5. GassieBall

GassieBall

Oct 15, 2006
    Thanks, everyone.

The Markbass seems to be made for my Sterlings. Something about the mid voicing of the Sterling and the Markbass really shines and cuts through. It's really uncanny. My Bongo, on the otherhand seems to like the Epifani cabs more to my ears.

Edit: Sterling_Bass - I saw your question on the MB Megathread. The MB cabs get mixed reviews here. I can understand why - when I play them solo, I'm sort of like, OK, that's cool, but it doesn't seem to knock my socks off. But when I play it in a gigging situation, the MB cabs rock. I think that's the same with the Sterling voicing. A lot of people like the Stingray more cause it has a little more bottom and a more scooped sound, but I like the way a Sterling cuts through with more mid voicing.

I think it's also like how the best tone that cuts through a mix is a mid/low-mid tone that, when listened to solo, can sound sort of honky.

6. Does the same hold true for both your Sterling and SUB Sterling?

7. i wish i could find anything by markbass around here

8. Do you mean in your area or in Canada? There are Markbass distributors in Canada.

9. GassieBall

GassieBall

Oct 15, 2006
    Yes. They are similar. I play my SUB Sterling quite a lot. I bring it to outdoor gigs and more suspect places cause I think the finish is tough as nails (and I sort of baby my non-SUB Sterling). :D

10. i thought there might be, but i havent seen any in stores.

i might have to do a bit of research.

11. Haha I have to agree. I've bumped by SUB into my desk once or twice and the finish is still perfect. I don't mind the body finish, but I really enjoy the painted neck.

12. GassieBall

GassieBall

Oct 15, 2006
    LOL, been there, done that, too. It's also survived a drunk friend's belt buckle. Good to see you at the EBMM forums. It's a cool place.

13. Yeah, I could not help but comment on your rig on that forum as well. Do you thing the SUB is a good match with the LMII?

14. remo

remo

Jan 15, 2005
    the rig is awesome.. but man.. that mirror has GOT TO GO :eek:

15. jucas

jucas

Dec 14, 2003
    Alberta
    I haven't seen any in the general area, and can't really think of anywhere that'd stock them. Should get mine from Clubbass in toronto on friday, and dave was great to deal with... resonable shipping prices and helpful and all that, but this is totally useless if you want to try it out first (as usually, we can't find anything even slightly out of the ordinary in northern alberta)

And, the original topic... thats a cool setup. I really like seeing the LMII with big rigs as well as the little ultra compact stuff. Something about it is amusing, but its nice too see that it's not just a compromise people are making for the size too. (also, the bright orange/yellow speakers have some kind of crazy appeal to me; I can't stop looking at that 15 on the bottom there)

16. bugbass

bugbass

Apr 8, 2004
    Norway
    Nice rig!!!
    And a big +1 on how the MB cabs cuts on a gig. It`s all about that thick midrange

17. + 1 on the mirror.... gotta go. Nice rig tho!

18. tripb19

tripb19 Camel - Camel

Jun 18, 2005
    Melbourne, Aus
    Power conditioner for a LMII?

19. Sweet rig!

20. GassieBall

GassieBall

Oct 15, 2006
    Thanks, guys!

Good point. People wonder why I racked up the LMII, but IMHO it's about the cumulative weight also. I didn't want to add an additional 20-30 lbs to the case.

About the power conditioner... My basement where we practice has many power compact fluorescent spot lights and the HVAC and saltwater aquarium lights are pretty noisy. I think the Furman has cleaned things up a bit.

LOL about the mirror! It was a free hand-me-down from my brother-in-law. It was an offer I coudn't refuse :D . If I crank up the gain and the master, and the thing comes tumbling down, I'll start a new thread to celebrate!