1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

MarkBass Super Synth Dying?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by eric9353, Oct 5, 2013.

1. eric9353

eric9353

Jul 29, 2002
    Washington, D.C.
    I've been using a MarkBass Super Synth for about two years and it's been great. But then on Monday we were doing a radio session and it started cutting in and out. One minute it was working, and then it'd be quiet with a pulsing synth note happening about once per second.

Once a year ago the pedal had an issue where it got quiet and scratchy, but the next day (and since) it was fine. This time, when I got to practice a week later it was fine at first (like at the at the radio station) and then started pulsing.

Anyone ever have that issue? Know how to fix it?
    I looked for a troubleshooting page online, but no dice.

2. topo morto

topo morto

Mar 22, 2010
    Lloegyr
    It happens this time every year you say?

Maybe the little man inside that makes it work is employed by the US Government...

3. eric9353

eric9353

Jul 29, 2002
    Washington, D.C.
    Could be. Maybe his furlough goes in one-second intervals?

At the end of the night I realized that I recently got a Voodoo Labs ISO5 (definitely in the 12volt plug), so I tried the adapter that came with the pedal and I couldn't get it to break. That being said I used that Voodoo Labs power on my board for three shows with no issues.

I'm going to travel with the original power as back-up for now and I'll report back if I learn anything.

Anyone else experience this with this pedal? It travels in an ATA case, so I don't think it's taken any serious abuse.

4. pantherairsoft

pantherairsoft

Apr 22, 2009
    Derby, UK
    It's power - I had one and tried running it on a GigRig 12v adapter, after a while I got the pulsating noise. It's the amount of draw the pedal needs, it's huge. I got Dan at GigRig to wire me two adapters in parallel and that sorted it... or use the original adapter.

I'm yet to hear of anyone successfully run the SuperSynth from a multi-supply without some form of power adapter hack. It's just a really demanding pedal.

5. eric9353

eric9353

Jul 29, 2002
    Washington, D.C.
    Thanks, man.

I'll drop Voodoo Labs a line and see if they have other power supplies that might be better suited. And for now I'll just have an extra plug for the pedal board.