MarkBass Vintage Preamp modification

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by weirdmayo, Apr 30, 2022.

1. weirdmayo

weirdmayo

Apr 8, 2022
    I have made a fair share of research into bass preamps in the last month, trying to find a fitting preamp (pedal) for my new passive G&L Kiloton. I do like how it sounds at home at my amp, but I play into a DI at church, and I wish to have a few EQ/Boost options the way I do on my 6-string active Kiesel bass (to cut the mids sometimes, etc.)

I stumbled upon the Markbass Vintage Preamp, and I love practically everything about it. But there is a gripe that I have with it, and that is that it's FX loop is Post OD, and Pre EQ.

If anyone is both electronics savvy and has this preamp, is there a way to modify the circuit inside for the FX loop to be Post EQ?

If there was a way, I would purchase it the next moment, and go through the modification.

I can do soldering, and can read a sheet, but I don't want to buy the preamp if I can't mod it. Thank you!

2. Not only that, but it's parallel to the main signal, so you can never break the chain with an effect - it rides right along side it.

There are a lot of chips and surface-mount components inside... It's a pretty dense/complex design. I'd be curious to see anyone mod one, though.

3. weirdmayo

weirdmayo

Apr 8, 2022
    I received some updates about the circuit. I emailed them about the chain, and this is what they sent me.

Attached Files:

4. weirdmayo

weirdmayo

Apr 8, 2022
    Oops, that’s embarrassing lol. Well, yeah. From the block diagram it looks like it’s not impossible. But from what I’ve heard about implementation, it seems impossible.

I guess I’ll look into Goliath as a tube preamp/DI instead.

I love the EQ options here though. Tough choices…

frankie5string likes this.