Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Maroon 5's basslayer?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Lowend4s, Jan 16, 2005.

1. Lowend4s

Lowend4s

Jan 2, 2001
    Can anybody give me some information on him? I really like his style, he always lays down these solid grooves.

2. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    "... this serious are band you but Grr offense no I hate?"

hahah i put together funny sentences ^

ah sorry for my comments -

3. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I saw this band play live on three different TV shows. No way that bassplayer laid down those grooves on the record - someone else HAD to have been used in the studio . . .

4. well, from what i've heard, i believe that he played live and in the studio...all i've ever heard was the root note being played...but of course, i've only heard what was on the radio...

5. A lot of the stuff on the record has to be either studio guys or synth. I'm pretty sure the song "This Love" has a synth bass line. As for live, I haven't seen them.

6. Lowend4s

Lowend4s

Jan 2, 2001
    Guys I cant lie the first time my cousin was in the car with me and he put in Maroon 5 I was not all that pleased at first. "This is that band with that current poppy single" I thought to myself. Little to my surprise the CD was filled with rock funk R&B and numerous groovy bass lines. The bassist really lays it down with the drummer.

7. Lowend4s

Lowend4s

Jan 2, 2001
    If that is even him.

8. willgroove2

willgroove2

Aug 16, 2003
    chicago IL
    Endorsing Artist;Essential sound products,Dunlop, Ergo Instruments
    from a very good source i can say that alex al played most of the bass gtr on that cs

9. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Are you [your source] sure? I'm only asking because I have the cd and some of the tunes the bassist seems to be forcing the funk where the funk ain't there and I'm sure Alex Al has way more funk than Maroon 5's bassist! Well, you did say most of the tunes!! I am willing to bet though that there was some serious studio magic going on to tighten up the bass on the record. Remember, they weren't originally a funk/rock band to begin with.

10. Lowend4s

Lowend4s

Jan 2, 2001
    Really? That upsets me, I thought that I found this really new groovy player.

It doesn't matter what anyone else here thinks of this guy. If you think he's a groovy/good player then he's just that.

11. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I'm sure that he's a good bass player but just not as funky as the record indicates! ;)

12. Yeah, Maroon 5, formerly Kara's Flowers from New York City, (check cdnow.com, you can get still get their CDs, several were released) was not a funk/rock band to begin with. Believe it or not, they actually bought the song that was their breakthrough hit - "Harder to Breathe". That much I know for certain. What probably happened then was that they found a good producer and went and wrote a full album of songs in the style of Harder to Breathe. They had been around for a long time and worked pretty hard to get where they are, but as always in the music business, they definitely had plenty of help getting there in the form of connections and being in the right place at the right time.

13. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Hey i look at it this way! I am just glad that some one has put out a cd with at least a little talent! I am not picking on any other bands nor would i say a certain name so please dont get youre panties in a wad. But i think most players here will agree that any push towards good music is wonderfull. I like a couple tunes off that cd but they are not the hits! Another band that makes me wonder if they had stand in players is silver tide. We coverd a tune of theres and it was kinda fun to play,nothing hard but i downloaded the same version of the song from there demo cd and man was it lame! :scowl:

14. willgroove2

willgroove2

Aug 16, 2003
    chicago IL
    Endorsing Artist;Essential sound products,Dunlop, Ergo Instruments
    alex did a some ghost playing as he does on many band's records,it's not uncommen for producer's working with self contained band's to bring in a guy to do bass or drum's key's ect.one of the reasons is to save time and money another reason is to get the "sound" that the producer is known for witch sometimes involves using certain players.i guess the most well known exsample of this is bonjovi when it became known that hugh mcdonald had been playing all the bass with them for years but was not credited.