Martin Turner

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by chimp, Apr 18, 2005.

1. chimp

Dec 4, 2004
    South Africa
    Martin Turner from Wishbone Ash doesn't have a thread to himself and has hardly had a mention. I grew up listening to this blaring through the house so played a big part in my musical up bringing. What do you have to say about him?
  2. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I always liked Martin Turner's playing. I was a huge Wishbone Ash fan in the 70's and often wondered why they weren't more succesful in the US. I saw them 3 or 4 times live in NY opening for other bands and never failing to blow the headliners out of the building. Martin was really solid and was able to play some really interesting lines. Live Dates still makes it into my CD player every now and then.
  3. I was wondering if there was a Martin Turner thread, now there is. He's a good bassist, I jut got Wishbone Ash's new DVD, which contains footage of lots of their shows. he has a nice tone too, very agressive.
  4. chimp

Dec 4, 2004
    South Africa
    I know.

He was a solid bottom end player. I also noticed the agression in his tone i wonder if that is a result of playing hard or what? since im a bit young to have seen them live could some one tell me about his playing style.
  5. The guy's so under-rated it's a joke.
    I always think of him as a more straight-ahead, rockier version of Chris Squire, they both have similar approaches to their respective styles of music.

Listen to 'Sometime World' from Argus or 'Sorrel' from Wishbone 4. Fantastically supportive, melodic yet growly and upfront in attack and tone. I'm amazed his playing isn't more revered.
  6. And how could I forget 'Handy'? Beautiful bass soloing, right there.
  7. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I also saw them a lot in N.Y.C. in the early 70's...great band!
    Martin played witha pick through Orange amps if I remember correctly. I just played Argus a couple weeks back....still sounded great :bassist: