1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Martin Youth Glover (Killing Joke)

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Hot Stove, May 31, 2011.

1. Hot Stove

Hot Stove

Mar 4, 2011
    Hi all

I am a killing joke fan and have a bass question in regards to bassist/producer Martin "Youth" Glover. Pictures of early KJ live show Youth playing a 'Rickenbacker' bass. However listening to Killing Joke's debut self titled album (1980), the bass on that album sounds more like a Fender Precision than a Rick. Can anyone elaborate on this? What bass did Youth use on the first KJ album, if anyone knows? Also I would be interested to know what basses Youth used on What's This For? and Revelations. If anybody has any info, I would be grateful.

2. KalashnikovB32

KalashnikovB32

May 27, 2011
    UK
    I have just got back tonight from a fantastic Killing Joke gig at the Wulfrun, Wolverhampton and Youth was playing a pink and black rickenbacker. I have also seen him playing a Status bass but sorry can't help regarding the basses he recorded with on early KJ albums.

3. Stev187

Stev187 Peavey MegaBass Club!

Jan 11, 2011
    Toledo, OH
    Not sure about the records. Check some era YouTube vids for what he was playing then. Here's a lip-synch performance from that record (lip-synch was really common among post-punk bands on TV... sad). Fender P here.

Killing Joke - Unspeakable.flv - YouTube

Didn't get a good look at the non-Fender bass in this clip:

Killing Joke Whatever You Want 1982 War Dance - YouTube

--Steve

4. Kopfjaeger

Kopfjaeger Guest

Jun 3, 2011
    When I saw Killing Joke live in NYC in the early 80's Youth was playing a Rickenbacker on stage. To my recollection, he used it on every song.

Sepp

5. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    When I saw them in 86, I think he was playing a stingray

6. zortation

zortation

Dec 26, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    Paul Raven is who you're thinking of...another legend.

7. That second video clip from 1982 is Paul Raven playing a Wal.

8. Primakurtz

Primakurtz Registered Nihilist Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Denver, Colorado
    Paul Raven (RIP!) had a really cool Stingray. The pickup was a custom super-hot wind, and he had wrapped the bass with an old leather jacket. This was in the late 80's/early 90's. He was touring the US using a big old Peavey amp, as I recall.

9. coldwar1977

coldwar1977

Aug 1, 2012
    Belgium
    Alright!!!! Nice to see there's more people over here who like KJ!

10. zortation

zortation

Dec 26, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    Their new album is boobies.