1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

MAS, Headway, and Bose rig

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by matt holt, May 4, 2017.

1. matt holt

matt holt Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2005
    Cincinnati OH
    Thought I would share new favorite rig:

I had a gig this past Sunday that I was an acoustical nightmare: basically playing in a packed, noisy college food court with a jazz trio, the pianist of which only plays keyboard (as oppose to an acoustic piano) a few times a year, so his knowledge of how to deal with amplification is minimal. Enter this setup:
    IMG_1346.JPG
    Headway Band, EDB-2, Bose Packlite, MAS 26 (4 ohm).

This rig handled it like a champ. The thing that really impressed me was that I could actually really hear my intonation: I find when I am in lousy acoustical situations, and hit a note just slightly out of tune (as opposed to a real lemon) I can hear that it's not right, but have trouble hearing which direction it's not right in. Not so this time: the clarity really amazed me. Also impressive is how good it sounded with everything basically flat: I had the notch filter on the EDB set at about 150Hz (there is a resonant point on my bass right about there), and bumped up the lows to about 1:00, but that was pretty much it for the bulk of the night. (I took down the high mids a hair towards the end of the gig, when the room cleared some and there wasn't so much background noise). It ain't a cheap setup, and it is a bit more complicated than I would, in theory, prefer, but was pretty amazing how well it handled such an awful acoustic setting. And I am totally in love with having the EDB mounted on my music stand for easy access. Also, the 26 on the stand makes a great gig beverage table:p!

Last edited: May 4, 2017
  2. jleguy

jleguy Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2006
    DC Metro

Please share the stand(s) you are using for the MAS and the EDB2...

3. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Nice rig! I used to use a stand mounted speaker and really enjoyed being able to hear with my ears rather than wishing I had ears on my ankles. I would love to hear the MAS 26 someday - it seems like a great little powerhouse for DB.

4. BobKay

BobKay Supporting Member

Nov 5, 2012
    Estero, Florida; USA
    I also mount my EDB2 on my mic stand. I use an extra "arm" that clamps on the main upright of the mic stand. It can be adjusted to any angle, and terminates in a male mic fixture that the EDB2 screws on to. Works great for giving me access to volume without going back to my amp. I'd post a photo, but I'm traveling and not at home where the gear is.

jleguy likes this.
  5. MDrost1

MDrost1 Supporting Member

Oct 16, 2009
    Grand Haven, MI
    I like that setup! I have been alternating between my MAS26 with AI on the Yorkville stand and my AI coda. I think I'm gonna take the MAS26 rig out this week. Thanks for reminder. I really like having my speaker cab elevated. I forget that every once and a while.

6. matt holt

Apr 5, 2005
    Cincinnati OH
    I use the clip/gooseneck that comes with this iPad holder to mount the EDB:
    Ultimate Support HyperPad mini 5-in-1 iPad Mini Holder
    Both the clip and the gooseneck have a standard mic stand screw-end, as does the back of the EDB.

Here is the speaker stand; On-Stage Stands SSAS7000B Mini-adjustable Speaker Stand - Single

They are perfect for this purpose, I don't know why more companies don't make a speaker stand with this profile.

jleguy likes this.
  7. matt holt

Apr 5, 2005
    Cincinnati OH
    Yea, AI stuff is great (my other Amp head is a Clarus sl) but IMHO Mikes cabs are just the best out there.

8. matt holt

Apr 5, 2005
    Cincinnati OH
    Yea, I actually normally don't bother with it (just one more thing to bring to the gig) unless I know the gig is going to be really acousticall challenging. I find The 26 does pretty well in the vertical position on the floor, so that's normally what I do. When there is a lot of background noise, though, there is nothing like having the cab 2 feet from your head:bassist:

Chris Fitzgerald likes this.
  9. Nathan Levine

Nathan Levine Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2008
    Anchorage, AK
    Sweet! I could put a package like this together. EDB1, Bose Packlite, and MAS 25. I'll try it out tonight and if I dig it I'll pass it along to another player.

10. Also looks like a great stand for your wine and water! :smug:

matt holt and Bisounourse like this.