Matching 8 string guitar

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by sinbad7, Oct 1, 2017.

1. sinbad7

sinbad7

Dec 17, 2010
    Hey guys! I'm sure it's been discussed, but I can never find anything with the search bar.
    So I'm in a metal band and my guitarist recently got an 8 string and we've been jamming in drop E (so he just drops his f# to e). Now I know dropping a bass that low is not only really tough but sounds awful. Do you guys have any recommendations on tunings that would match drop E? Preferably tuning that wouldn't require me to relearn all of our songs! My current basses are an ibanez sr750 and srff805.

2. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Honestly, if the guitar is way down there, I'd probably start playing on the dusty end.

3. sinbad7

sinbad7

Dec 17, 2010
    I'm married, so I've been playing with the dusty end for years!

4. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Just play in standard.
    Lots of metal bands do that with 4 or 5 string bass opposite 8 string guitar.
    The guitar player will (or should) be dialing out a lot of their lows to not sound like mud when playing chords.
    If you use a nice fat tone in standard it will sound a lot lower than the guitar, even though it's the same lowest note.

Element Zero likes this.
  5. sinbad7

sinbad7

Dec 17, 2010
    The downside about keeping it standard is that I'll have to relearn all our songs. And I really don't want to do that. I think I may try to do a drop b tuning. Keeping the low b standard, and tuning the rest of the strings up to match. That should harmonize with the E and SHOULD work. As long as I can safely tune up.

6. Lignum_Vitae

Lignum_Vitae

Nov 13, 2013
    Syracuse
    Play in standard and use an octave pedal.

7. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    There are string companies that make super down tuned string sets. GHS for sure.

8. T.Rex

T.Rex

Sep 19, 2015
    Canada

incase it interests you meshuggahs bass player tunes half step down and the E string tuned up half step to F to match the two 8 string guitars, for more info on their setup and tunings just look up meshuggah rig setup

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021